Alage in waterer

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
mickenglish

I have been finding a small build-up of algae in the waterer. I clean it out with apple cider vinegar, however after reading posts in the Forum I wonder whether it may be a good thing to leave in there. Any advice?
Regards
Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
starman

Mick,
I have seen references, video and pictures of finches taking algae build-ups from rocks and water courses 'in the wild', so from this we may presume that it is beneficial for them. Where the algae is constantly washed by running water and does not entrap decaying foreign matter it is probably safe for the birds. In an aviary, in water bowls with a mix of droppings and food particles I think it may be more risky.
I scrub all water receptacles daily with a nylon brush so my birds don't get to experience algae, but a friend lets it accumulate in his drinkers and tells me it does no harm. I prefer clean, algae-free bowls.... but I am possibly over-cautious.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
mickenglish

Thanks Sm. I think I'll stay with the cautious approach.
E Orix

All my water dishes outside have a good coating of algae on the sides BUT the WATER is CLEAN
I also have a water feature the water runs down a rock face ,into a shallow(30mm) section and then into the main reservoir.
The lower section has a large amount of String Algae and you are able to see numerous birds eating it. In particular Painted's
I should also point out that I do not need to colour feed my birds as their colour is intensified by the Spirulina in the Algae.
My I suggest you Google Spirulina and you can read about it.
I have had numerous discussion with a very well known breeder about perfectly clean water all the time, and we still agree to disagree.
In the wild birds would rather drink from a muddy foot print than the clean water nearby.
As for the green build up on the inside of the coke bottle, my opinion don't worry about it. I would be more worried with the residue that
is left after cleaning.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My waterers are flushed automatically. I dont clean to remove alge, but do clean to remove poop. So daily cleaning is unnecessary in my opinion. My mother and I also agree to disagree on alge in water bowls.
LML
LML
gomer

The water should not be cloudy green. As mentioned finches eat algae the type the run between the beak. But you need to keep the water free from other contaminants.Finches are great at carrying alsorts of stuff back to the water and creating a mess in it.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
E Orix

Just emphasising what Gomer and I said earlier, the water must be clean. I do not scrub the water dishes out
just rinse and replace the water.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On that I think we all agree. Most birds can be mucky beggers at times, putting all sorts of stuff in their water to soften. Definately keep the water clean.
LML
LML
mickenglish

Thanks for the advice, I only change water when the bottle is almost empty, but rarely find any debris in the trough. I also have a water feature and they do like to dump stuff in it as well as doing their laundry in it,I will set up something for pumping it out occasionally.
This is a great forum.
Mick
starman

mickenglish wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 11:00 This is a great forum.
Mick
I certainly agree, Mick.
When you delve into the forum, you realise how much stored expertise and how many helpful solutions it holds.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”