Licences to Keep Finches

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rod_L wrote: 16 May 2018, 18:20 What about Queensland, do they need a license for Gouldians?

If yes, I wonder why the states that are home to Gouldians require permits but other states that are not home to them don't require a permit. And I am really curious as to why the southern states don't need a permit for a bird that is classified as threatened in the wild?
You dont need a licence for Gouldians. .Zebs..some though you cant sell more than 10 a year unless you have a licence such as painteds. ..
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
shnapper20

in vic the gouldian has become quite common in aviaries. At the last 4 sales I attended there was an abundance, at the Melbourne sale 1 person was reportedly selling pairs for 15$. Years ago, Gouldians were a little soft to breed in our colder climes, yet now they appear to have gotten over that.
Not licencing this breed has paid dividends. Plumb heads were hardly seen whilst it was required to have a license for them, but now the license has been removed they too are becoming more common. I can only think licenses for wa. are designed to stop poaching of the wild flocks.
arthur

Licensing of aviaries, and classification of birds has absolutely nothing to do with conservation

The 'system' is simply 'eyewash' to convince an unknowing public that an uncaring government is doing 'something'

And don't get me started on species that can or can't be kept depending on which side of an imaginary line you happen to live

My position is that: If an aviary bred bird may be legally held in one state, then it should be able to be legally held in ANY other state

This I believe applies in South Australia (and to a large extent in NSW) . . apart from the odd species that is regarded as 'pest fauna' (another contentious classification)

Queenslanders have been disadvantaged (and victimised) since at least the '70's, and while things may not now be as 'hard-line' as they have been; the 'age of enlightenment' still seems as far off as it ever was . . and light-years behind the above-mentioned jurisdictions

And optimists become realists, and realists become pessimists
arthur

https://www.qld.gov.au/environment/asse ... on-ris.pdf

Up to mods as to whether this could be better placed . .

Submissions will be accepted up to 29 06-18

Proposals for new Qld rules . . bit hard to use the 'table of contents' when the pages are not numbered, but that's minor

Big increase in the list of birds, particularly softbills, that people in the land of the pineapple can now legally hold :thumbup:

Still remaining are the time-worn inferences that bird / animal keepers are likely to be, or are fellow-travellers of wildlife smugglers . . but I guess we can live with that

Had to have a cynical smile at one of the justifications for eventually phasing out hard-copy record books . .

Too lazy to go back and find the exact quote; but basically . .

The personal safety of departmental officers is at risk by inspecting such documents, because people who falsify these records are known to associate with the organised criminals linked with the illegal wildlife trade :silent:

Overcame laziness . . quote below:

"Additionally, relying on the inspection of records at the licenced premises raises a number of safety concerns for the
department’s officers, due to the link between illegal trade of protected animals and major organised crime."

Fancy a department that intends charging $200 plus p.a. for an individual to contribute to conservation, calling anyone a 'crook' :lolno:
Tiaris

arthur wrote: 27 May 2018, 12:42
Had to have a cynical smile at one of the justifications for eventually phasing out hard-copy record books . .

Too lazy to go back and find the exact quote; but basically . .

The personal safety of departmental officers is at risk by inspecting such documents, because people who falsify these records are known to associate with the organised criminals linked with the illegal wildlife trade :silent:

Overcame laziness . . quote below:

"Additionally, relying on the inspection of records at the licenced premises raises a number of safety concerns for the
department’s officers, due to the link between illegal trade of protected animals and major organised crime."

Fancy a department that intends charging $200 plus p.a. for an individual to contribute to conservation, calling anyone a 'crook' :lolno:
:shock:
Tiaris

This quote is simply stunning.
They honestly believe that their officers' safety is in jeopardy by visiting the homes of licenced aviculturists in Queensland to inspect their books due to the enhanced prospect that aviculturists are likely to be violent gangsters. Further, that this relationship is so factual and significant that it is reasonable grounds to argue for a change from paper records in their discussion paper.
OMG. So old mate in Cunnamulla who keeps & breeds Crimson Rosellas or the lady in Bundaberg who has some Black-breasted Buttonquail are profiled in Qld government thinking as having a clear link to major organised crime. What sort of brainless morons are you Queenslanders employing in the state public service? I suspect the same sort we have in NSW.
arthur

Tiaris wrote: 28 May 2018, 07:27 What sort of brainless morons are you Queenslanders employing in the state public service?
Apart from other things . .

The sort that issue "Blue Cards" to people who have broken or defied every law except the Law of Gravity . .
starman

'Additionally, relying on the inspection of records at the licenced premises raises a number of safety concerns for the
department’s officers, due to the link between illegal trade of protected animals and major organised crime.'

This possibly reflects concern for organised reptile smugglers and big money operators, rather than 'Budgie Smugglers' ??
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Tiaris

I'd say it more broadly reflects the complete disdain they hold for aviculture & aviculturists.
arthur

Off topic, so I've put it in Bird Jokes . .

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”