Finch Seed

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
CathyCraftz

What seed should the ideal finch seed contain? Mine has french white millet, shell-like bits and lots of other seed. It also contains seed-sized grit that my finches don't even eat. On the package it said that canaries can eat it too.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of the packaged, "supermarket brand" seed mixes are low quality and often contain unnecessary filler that finches don't eat.

I've been buying Avigrain Finch Red for quite a while. That's my base seed mix, then I separately serve red pannicum (for the waxbills) and a bit of peachface mix (for the neophemas). Right now I'm transitioning to Natures Harvest bird seed, mostly because that's the brand stocked by the pet supplies company I work with.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Try sprouting some of your seed...if atleast 90% sprouts it good if not change to something better...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
matcho

From what you have described Cathy it sounds like you are using the Trill Canary and Finch Mix. Get yourself along to a produce store and buy some "finch mix", not in a packet but by the kilo. You can then add whatever grit etc, etc you think is right for your 2 zebra hens . Would work out cheaper in my opinion as you are getting seed only and not the fillers. In saying that I used to purchase 20kg bags of finch mix from a seed dealer but found the "filler" seed was canola (rape). It was an absolute waste as my birds, Goulds, Stars and Painteds would not touch it. I buy now Avigrain Blue, no canola but sprouts well and all is eaten. Hope this helps. I shop at Enfield produce and his loose finch mix is ok but he also has all seed separate so you can mix your own to suit.

Hope this helps.

Ken.
Tiaris

My basic finch mix is Red Pannicum, White millet, jap millet, & plain canary, The proportions of each depends on which species my collection comprises but as a rough guide equal parts of each makes a good finch mix. If I am keeping a majority of African species I up the proportion of red pannicum or if am keeping a majority of cup-nesters I up the proportion of plain canary. At the moment I don't have many of either so I am just using equal parts. I only ever use Australian grown seed which sprouts. To ensure this, I always buy from the grower.
CathyCraftz

matcho I buy my seed in 5kg packs that last about three months. Right now I am out of seed, will try switching to another seed. Will my hens be picky about it as they have only been eating that seed?
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
Craig52

Cathy, they will probably think it is Christmas

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”