Question?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Tracey

Has anyone ever heard of a female Painted and a male Longtail getting together?. They both lost their mates about the same time several months ago, and now the female Painted often preens the male Longtail . . . he will also call her if she is out of sight, they have been observed sleeping in a nest together some nights. I put a wire tube filled with dried grasses, and now they are going in together during the day too . . . the male Longtail has got very protective of her too. :heart:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Painted finches hooking up with the wrong species must be in vogue right now; we just had a painted/orange-breast question in another thread.

I've never seen this particular combination, and hybridization is unlikely*, so there's no real harm being done.

*Have heard of longtails hybridizing with diamond firetails, which share the "emblema" genus with painted firetails, so it is within the real of possibility.
arthur

Perhaps this is too simple . .

But could you buy each of them an appropriate partner :idea:
Craig52

I have to agree with Arthur and that longtail doesn't look very healthy so unless you try to spark him up a bit you will only need to by a cock bird painted imo.
I'm not one for condoning any hybrids among our pure Native finches
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Try very hard to find them - one or both - new mates of their own kind. It would be for the best to do this as soon as possible.
LML
LML
Tracey

I am not breeder so am happy for any outcome . . . and yes the Longtail didn't look too good in that photo - we had neighbours who had feed some butcher birds so they were used to humans, the neighbours sold and moved so naturally the butcher birds saw my finches as a food source. About 4 Butcher birds constantly harassed my finches for a few weeks, this was when the male Longtail broke his beak . . . this photo was taken as the beak was growing back, it is now months later and the beak has fully grown back.
ps: the Butcher birds were encouraged to move away.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tracey do you have any other finches? Or just these two? And what size if their avairy? Sorry to hear the poor things were harrassed by Butcher Birds.
LML
LML
Tracey

I have lots of other finches in a mixed avairy which is very big . .. there are photos in the introduce yourself section.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”