Make a Gouldian pair (by replacing existing male)

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Fahadmajeed

Hi folks and experts,

So i have this gouldian pair (In natural colors, male red head and female black head with green back). Last year they laid one whole infertile clutch. But later they were able to produce 8 chicks. Still there were few infertile eggs.

This year first two clutch went infertile. In second clutch, however, there were 2 fertile eggs out of 5. One got dead in shell and the other was tossed by the pair. I suspect it's the male.
So i decided that it's enough, i should give chance to another red headed, yellow back male. So i took out red headed male and added new male to the cage with hen.

Both birds are in breeding condition. Hen is in supreme breeding condition. Flaps her wing while sitting on perch and her beak is all covered in black color.

I am observing that for last few days, new male is dancing to her and convincing her but she flies away. Seems like she is finding her old male and makes sounds like she is calling him.
But today i noticed that new male went into the box and after some time after a bit of hesitation, hen also went inside the box. Since it is their time to sleep. It's been roughly 3 days.
The pair i am trying to make has following colors:
Hen:
Black headed, green back, purple breasted
Cock:
Red headed, Yellow back, white breasted

My questions are:
1. How much time should i give to this pair so they can bond? And when to know this pair will bond or not?
2. Am i the cause of stress to hen or its just me thinking wrong?
3. Are the signs good that both birds are sleeping in the breeding box?
4. What color of babies or mutation i should expect?

Diet i am giving them is egg food, normal gouldian finch seeds from versele laaga and vitamins mixed in water. Also provide vitamins d3 and calcivet since i live in Finland, which has dark days in winters. And there is no direct sunlight access for Gouldians and cages are inside the living room.

Any other tip or suggestion is welcome. Thanks
Tiaris

Sounds like they are going in the right direction.
Depends what hidden genes the hen carries as to what young will result but if she is genetically as she appears I guess the young hens will be yellow-backed and males green backed, both with purple breasts but all split (carry) the white-breasted gene. This assumes the male is single factor yellow-back (most likely).
Craig52

Also, it quite rare for gouldians to mate on the perch. Usually after the male displays the hen flies to the nest box enters followed by the male where they copulate so that is what your birds are most likely doing.
Progeny is most likely what Tiaris has said. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like it took her a little while to accept the change of mate. But as the guys have said that she has now done so. You can't expect a lady to accept a strange male straight off. Good luck.
LML
LML
Fahadmajeed

Thank you for your answers folks. Your answers make perfect sense. Yes they are sleeping in the same box for last 2 days.
I am attaching pictures in form of links below :)

I guess i need to do some readings about genetics and colorings of these wonderful creatures.

female:

https://ibb.co/muQyTL

(male)

https://ibb.co/ctWGF0
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I also like to give all my finches natural perches, as i believe this is better for their feet. e.g. finger/thumb thickness branches cut from fruit and other safe trees.
LML
LML
Fahadmajeed

Although the pair sleeps in the box. Hen still avoids male by flying away if he tries to make a bit of advancement. I put her previous male into another room to move him out of sight and she can not hear him as well. But still during day time she avoids him.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Give her time, if she is sharing the nest she has not totally rejected him. But remember she did have a live mate so needs to go through a complete seperation, as per the moving him completely away, that you have done. Patience.
LML
LML
Craig52

As i said in an earlier post, very rarely do they mate on a perch. They mate in the nest box Fahadmajeed
Fahadmajeed

Thank you @finchbreeder and @Craig52. You guys make sense again. I need patience :D ... Thanks

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”