Make a Gouldian pair (by replacing existing male)

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Fahadmajeed

A little update. No action still. Still hen flies away if male dances. Male has removed all the nesting material from the box. But started singing more.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some ladies take more courting than others. Are you putting seeding grass in for him to show her what a good provider he is?
LML
LML
Fahadmajeed

Unfortunately i can't find here in Finland. Any alternative of seeding grass?
Fahadmajeed

I think i will try pet stores... though not sure and haven't seen ...
Fahadmajeed

What a poor nest maker is the male. He picks stuff with his beak and its all over the place in the cage. Takes everything from the box and throws it outside. Cage is littered with cotton threads and anything that i provide him. What could be wrong?
Craig52

Go outside and pick some long lengths of grass, green or dry in varying lengths up to 250 mm. Half fill the nest box put your fist in the center and form a cup shaped chamber. Leave a small amount on the floor for the birds to finish it.
Gouldians do not use anything other than grass for their nest, no feathers and definitely no cotton threads or cotton wool the latter can be dangerous to their feet/legs.
Lastly, leave them alone to do their thing as interfering or just sitting closely makes them nervous. Craig :problem:
Fahadmajeed

@Craig52, this seems to work.... long coconut fibre seems to be well in place and too much in the box. What is the logic here? some males like long grass? wow... I did not even put some long coconut fibres by myself. Box is almost 25% filled now. Much improved than before
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They use long lengths for structure of nest...once they are happy they will pad it with very short pieces to make it soft..😉
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The seeding heads off your lawn grasses will go down well if you have no other types of seeding grasses. Just leave a corner to grow long and seed. Then they can use the seed for food and the grass for nests, win win.
LML
LML
Fahadmajeed

OK the hen laid her first egg day before yesterday. But no second egg. I believe its infertile. But if she doesn't lay second or third...what should be done?

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”