Hot day air flow

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
davlee

Would a fan directing air through the lower part of an aviary give finches any relief on a 40 degree day?
Has anyone tried this?

Dave
nicko

No - but I have a patio misting kit setup to come on every day, birds love to bathe & keeps the aviary cool.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Orbit-Outdo ... :rk:1:pf:0
Last edited by nicko on 21 Dec 2018, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I built my avairys under a huge Cape Lilac tree, best thing out. But for where that is not possible, have added shade sails, and alsonite. Placed 10/30cms above the avairy on poles or 4x4s. Creates a natural breezeway and leaves too little space for preditors to land or negotiate easily. Reticulated water bowls that auto top up daily for 2mins at 11AM or 3PM (just before or after the hot spot) Mine alternate - odd days one even days the other. And most important of all, keep away, accept for one water check in a day. They will sit quietly in the shade and rest like we should.
LML
LML
mr skeeter

On a hot day like that i freeze ice cream containers and place them in each aviary then don't need to go near them, also place shade cloth at the front 0f my aviaries that makes it much more comfortable for my birds, cheers
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Double roofed (knocks about 8 to 10c off) and running water (waterfall....as running water stays cooler)... no problems here 😊
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
nicko

My main reason for an automatic misting setup is that it & comes on wether I'm home or not, same with the drinking water.
mr skeeter

that misting system looks great nico but i don't like wet aviary floors, if it works for you and your birds great, yes double roofs is great as i have found out over the last 3 years since they have been in. the ice in the large ice-cream containers was passed on to me by glen bowden and it works great, cheers
nicko

Fair enough - I've only got 3 mister nozzles per aviary & the mist is that fine & on hot days it's evaporated before it hits the ground - (here in Perth anyway)
Greg41

Mister sprays are the way to go here in Perth. 39' today. The mister's keep the temp down and gives the birds a distraction, they all make use of it .With our hot dry climate not much chance of wet floors.
Cheers.
GDG
mr skeeter

greg my apologies i just seen a misting system at a shopping centre didn't know they were that good stood under it and didn't get wet, looking at putting one in, thanks for your advice pal, cheers

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”