Aviary Stocking

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
arthur

finchbreeder wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 10:33 . The Galah and weerio if they are used to each other could quite possibly co-habitate.
LML
Not only co-habitate . . but also co-habit

Galah x Cockatiel hybrids have been recorded

Getting 'off-topic' . . But, Hey we're all mates here
animal_expert05

Also, does anybody know if red faced parrot finches can cohabitat with blue faced parrot finches? I know the can hybridise but are the babies fertile? Is there a way to stop them from hybridising?
arthur

Yes . . but not wise

Yes . . unfortunately

No . . unfortunately
Tiaris

Don't put them in the same aviary.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Question one and two same answers as Arthur. 3rd question yes - put all birds of one sex in the avairy - but the odds are you will miss sex and they will not.
LML
LML
shnapper20

yrs ago when i first started i put king quail in with a galah along with other small birds the galah bit the heads off the quail and killed the rest . I built a cage inside the aviary for the smaller birds to retreat but this just prolonged the inevitable.
DIRK

A-E. I have weiros with my finches, without problems. But the aviary is very large (>50m2) with bushes. I keep them because they sound the alarm when a hawk or Eagle approaches. They don't bother the finches, but I agree with previous comments that it disturbs some nests from time to time.

I used to have budgies and weiros in a smaller aviary (20m2), and on occasions they would cripple some of the finches. A very sad feeling when you have to pick up one of your birds with a broken or missing limb. So, stick to the rule of not mixing the two, unless there is lots and lots of space.

Don't mix blue and red parrot finches. Not only do they interbreed, but the blue faced parrot finches are hyperactive and that seems to unsettle the redfaced finches a lot, particularly in breeding season.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”