Goldfinch

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Lachlan1

Excuse my lack of knowledge on this topic but are there many breeders out there with genuine aviary bred European goldfinches?
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I only know of one breeder who keeps them. They're quite an attractive finch, so it's surprising they're not more popular.

A few years ago I came into possession of a flock of wild-trapped birds. It was my intention to breed the wild crazyness out of them over a few generations, but they all died very quickly. Apparently parasites and disease are very prevalent in the feral populations.
Tiaris

Very few of the Goldfinches offered for sale are genuinely aviary-bred. If you find any offered for sale as aviary-bred, I would want to see them or at least photos showing how (& if) they are bred in aviariesor cages.

My father-in-law had a feral pair nest in his front yard from which he robbed the eggs & fostered them under a pair of his canaries & they fledged to be flighty & unsettled as if wild-caught.
Craig52

Yes i agree with all of the above comments although i did breed them from birds that were the result of stolen eggs placed under my dads canaries.
For some reason they attract scaley mite on the legs and mosquito bites to the feet that eventually renders them crippled so they eventually die or need culling. I have seen this condition in wild birds for sale so if you are thinking of purchasing some please check their legs/feet for the condition but still quarantine/treat them if they look clear . Craig
Lachlan1

Cheers for the info guys.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”