Repeated infertile clutches

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Fahadmajeed

Hi Folks,

What should be done if gouldian pair keeps giving infertile eggs?
Hen is the same and i changed the male already. But still 3 clutches went straight infertile.

best advice?
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Usually a diet issue. Green seeding grasses are what I'd usually recommend, but Finland's climate may not be too accommodating to growing them.

What greens are available to you? And do they get natural sunlight?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like the hen could be too old. Or you could just plain leave her without a mate for a month, to rest and recover while being give the best of everything. Put him in a cage where she can see him but not reach him then try again, if still nothing. giv up on her.
LML
LML
Fahadmajeed

@ShaneGowland yes we have no exposure to sunlight. I can only buy greens like lettuce, broccoli, cucumber from grocery stores. I grew in small pot some seed eating grass but they didn't eat it...not even sprouted seeds...

@finchbreeder... thanks.... i already have separated her...and will try after a month. I'll follow what you said.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If no exposure to sunlight do you give vitamin D suplement? As lack of this could be the problem then. Don't give up on the greens, just keep offering small quantities of the seeding grasses, sprouts, broccoli and cucumber. But not lettuce, too high in water and lacks vitamins. If you have a canary you could put with them to teach them to eat greens this could help. And birds that have screaming chicks demanding food will turn to what is there to feed them so if the greens are constantly available when the time comes it will eventually happen.
LML
LML
Fahadmajeed

@finchbreeder yes i do give them vitamins mixed in water. d3 , multivitamins 2-3 times a week and some probiotics too.
OK i'll keep offering them greens except lettuce.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”