Sulfa 3 treatment

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
dibakes

I have treated my gouldians for 7 days as per instructions on the bottle for 7days, will they need another treatment?
2 are on nests now, one has 3 hatchlings.
Their last hatching was a failure, all the babies died, one batch of 3 after a week.
Thanks
E Orix

What are you treating the birds for?
dibakes

Bacterial infection, as the last chicks died, hoping not to have the next lot die. Asked at my aviary, he recommended a sulfa3 treatment for any non-specific bacterial infection.'
The babies had (supposedly) enlarged livers.
E Orix

If I used a vet to treat my Gouldians for a possible illness each time I lost a nest I would be bankrupt and the so called vets would be rich.
In my opinion there is only a hand full of avian vets I could trust.
I doubt if your chicks died from enlarged livers. That aside we would need to know at what age they died and if they
died virtually the same time.
Did they have full crops or you could just see a few white seeds in their crop on inspection.
If it was a cold morning and just happened to be the day the hen decides not to site on them through the night.
Even at this stage I wouldn't dose them, clean what,seed mix, baked egg shell and soaked seed should get them through.
Most Gouldian breeders lose nests of chicks especially if kept in outside aviaries.
dibakes

Yes, they are in an outside aviary, but they had 6 successful chicks last year. What annoys me is I heard the 3 chicks calling to be fed in the afternoon, and the pair were feeding them, but I found all 3 dead in the nest the next morning, with full crops. If I had any inkling the parents were going to abandon them, I would have taken them and raised them myself. And they were about a week old. Now another pair have just hatched 3 more last night. They have plenty of fresh seeds, and they get fresh baby spinach every day, apple, broccoli, and not sure what other vegies/fruit they would eat. I tried to attach a photo of the dead babies, but apparently file too large
Thanks
BrettB

I agree with E Orix, there are many explanations for the chicks death and triple sulpha will not fix most/any of them.
Three one week old chicks all dying on the same night does not sound like a bacterial infection to me.
I would be looking at environmental causes (mice, cold,etc)

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
arthur

Full crops + dead in the morning . . (generally) = parents not brooding + too cold

Your Gouldians haven't abandoned (the crops were full) . . They have just stopped brooding, as they are 'hard-wired' to do in their natural environment

"10 X 10 Rule" . . For Gouldians and Parrot Finches . .

If the weather forecast is for less than 10 C overnight. . and the chicks are less than 10 days old . . and the parents have stopped brooding . . (you can ascertain this by observation, just before nightfall) . .

Bring the box into the house, and replace it in the aviary just after day-break

These birds are quite tolerant, and basically you are on the 'odds to nothing' anyway

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”