Blue-Faced Parrot Finch Nesting

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Brisbane_Finches_333

19 May 2019, 18:38

Hi All,

I am new to aviculture and have recently had my pair of Blue-Faced Parrot Finches nesting. Unfortunately, they abandoned their nest due to the installment of a new water feature. Is there anything I can do to get these birds nesting again? I have been supplying them with meal worms daily, which had triggered their breeding before, but they seem to not be nesting again. They are in a 1.4 x 1.6m aviary in suburban Brisbane along with a pair of Ruddies (Red-Billed Firefinches), two pairs of Zebra Finches (which have been breeding out of control lately), and 3 King Quail.
deegs

19 May 2019, 20:23

Hi, first thing I'd do is move the zebbies out into another cage or just get rid of them. They seem to dominate all other Finches in a mixed collection. Also, make sure you have enough alternative nesting sites available. Give your BFPF plenty of Lebanese Cucumber as well. I think the problem is the Zebbies. A pair of BFPF and some Ruddies will be fine together.
Cheers.
arthur

19 May 2019, 21:14

What Deegs said . .

Would be unusual for BF's to abandon because of your activity; they are quite tolerant . .

More likely Zebs being 'busybodies' . .

Spacewise also, better with fewer birds
Brisbane_Finches_333

20 May 2019, 12:15

Thank you so much! I will try both of those ideas.
Keeper of Star Finches, Blue Faced Parrot Finches, African Firefinches, Cuban Finches and King Quail
Queensland Finch Society Member

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”