The Future of Aviculture

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Craig52

I disagree, there thousands of young beginners Nationwide on social media bird/finch pages all asking questions on housing,breeding and feeding and all having a go.
There are several older experienced breeders passing on their knowledge as well Nation wide but, E Orix is right they come in early then disappear when the hormones kick in and both girls and boys stray away from the hobby. It happened with me and most likely everyone else who is in 40s 50s and 60s and even older where grandkids are influenced with pops long lasting hobby. My grandkids helped me feed my birds and were fascinated seeing ugly dinosaurs in a nest and so want to keep birds when they get older though they do have hand raised pet budgies of which they sort themselves. So the seed is there and i most likely wont be around when they are married and settled but i have a feeling they are going to follow in pops footsteps and have aviaries of their own in country Victoria or were ever they settle in life as will any young person exposed to birds in very early life.
shnapper20

Im a member of the the mornington peninsula avicultural society. The club runs a school aviary program. Where the members build supply and help stock large aviaries at primary schools. The teachers and students are then responsible for the birds needs. Any bred birds are sold to pay for the birds seed. I think this a great program for all the obvious reasons
landferno

I kept birds as a kid, got the initial interest from a friend of my grandparents and a great uncle who both had lots of birds. I kept them throughout my teens and probably stopped keeping them when I was about 21. I spent most of my 20s travelling overseas and didn't get back into keeping them until I was living with my now wife in a house we were unlikely to be moving from, in my mid 30s. Hard to keep them in rental share houses!! I think that the hobby will probably survive to some extent but you only have to look around at any bird sale to see most sellers are older. I think there's a lot more pet/companion birds around now than there used to be so I guess there's a market there. I work in the environmental industry and I've mentioned to people that I keep birds and many have told me they don't agree with the practice. There might be more people with this opinion also than there used to be. It will be interesting to see how it develops
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When people tell me they dont agree with keeping birds in avairys. I ask them what about the endangered species that have been saved by aviculture?
You wanted them to become extinct so they didnt have to live in avairys? Yes I'm a sarcastic sod, but sometime you have to shock people into using their brains. Finches have a better chance of continuing to be kept as avairy birds by the average family than the bigger birds because of space and noise.
LML
LML
noah.till

I'm only 15, and have the bird bug, and the only kids I know that have birds have only something like a pet Budgie or conure, never any finch owners or breeders of any type
Such a shame, the only people I get to talk about birds to are members of the clubs, buyers and the fantastic people on the forum.
The Queensland finch society does a fantastic job of trying to promote young finch keepers, and, because of that, they have provided me with one of the Aviary packages from the Junior Aviary program,
And also, so many people I have talked to over the phone, think I am an older fella, until they meet myself and really get a big surprise.
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Brisbane_Finches_333

Same...the big reveal....I'm only 12, and I am absolutely obsessed with birds. Unfortunately, my parents aren't so obsessed, and I really want another aviary from them (who aren't budging). Again, the only birdkeepers I know of that are my age keep a pet budgie or lovebird etc. I think that the reason not many young people are aviculturists is that our hobby is very unknown. Most kids only know of keeping birds in small cages with toys, trimming their wings etc. This is why we need to introduce this hobby to more people, as I can't stand looking at an active finch like a longtail stuffed into a budgie cage with parrot toys restricting it from flight.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Brisbane_Finches_333

Do you know how I could recieve an aviary package from QFS, I am a member and attend every meeting and event.
Brisbane_Finches_333

I am entering my article in Australian BirdKeeper for young Birdkeeper.
noah.till

Brisbane_Finches_333 wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 09:08 Do you know how I could recieve an aviary package from QFS, I am a member and attend every meeting and event.
Hey mate, great to meet another young breeder
Unfortunately mate, the last aviary package, the 10th one was given to myself, you needed to create an application and the committee decides
Don't worry, there will be plenty of opportunity's for yourself to get an aviary
Thanks
Noah Till
noah.till

Brisbane_Finches_333 wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 09:13 I am entering my article in Australian BirdKeeper for young Birdkeeper.
Well good luck with with ABK article, I was the winner from last year, my article (a bit outdated though, a lot has changed) is in the issue of the magazine with the Malabar parrot on the cover (not the last issue, the issue before)
Thanks
Noah Till

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”