Pest and Predator Solutions

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
noah.till

I think Butcherbirds are the worst problem, compared to a hawk, they are more likely to do damage as they tend to be more 'accurate' compared to the other.
Most hawks with hit the small snake and mouse proof wire and will do little damage to the birds, apart from the trauma, but a Butcherbird WILL, and a i mean WILL GET THEIR TARGET and take a leg or worse, and not to mention their insatiable habit of hopping around until one bird makes a wrong move, and i'm telling you now the netting is a leg/life saver
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Talven

Can't say I've seen any butcherbirds where I am at all so a small mercy there. So far the biggest issue I'm having with my captive birds is them getting a fright from the local wild birds. Will have to look into the netting for the aviary. Probably the easiest solution for my little aviary.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Butcher birds seem to come here in waves. On a quiet patch right now. The Cats got the last ones. And while I normally discourage the cats from even thinking about birds, when I tried to rescue the ungrateful wretch it pecked the xyz out of me and badly wounded the cat. Took weeks of care to get puss well.
LML
LML
Brisbane_Finches_333

My cat just sleeps though all day - does not notice the birds, never even seen him near the aviary nor near the wild bird feeder. Does get wound up at dogs on leashes outside the house.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Rod_L

I get in trouble every time I say this, but I hunt the intruders that hunt my birds. I use a low powered sling shot and cape lilac berries on native raptors. They don't normally come back after being hit by the berries and it doesn't kill them unless you hit them in the head at close range.

I have cage traps for cats and any other mammals that enter the property. Any cat or fox is killed on site, dogs are given to the council after I photograph them and record any details from their collar/ tags. If the dog returns, I give it to a friend who rescues dogs and rehomes them. Introduced birds are either shot with a sling shot or trapped and killed. Mice and rats are trapped in wire cage traps and killed. Humans are beaten, hog tied, blind folded and dumped in the bush. :)

------------------------------
I had perches under a tin roof so the birds could sit on them and not be seen from aerial predators.
death to all cats & ants
Talven

A little extreme for me. I don't tend to hog tie them as the aussie bush is pretty harsh on humans. Got to give them a fair go.

No issue with the death of introduced pests although I do have issue with the death of cats. At least around here they are probably some ones pet. Not the cats fault that the owner won't do the right thing and keep it indoors.

Native birds are easy enough to scare off. I just have to let the dogs loose. JRT and a chihuahua make more noise than the two staffies that live next door and they are fiercely protective of their yard. They are only a problem when the dogs are inside, which is most of the day.

The idea of a cat silhouette on the aviary or a plastic owl and the netting should help. Less birds hanging around for the dropped seed less likely the raptors will come.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The silhouettes and plastic owls do not work, unless on some sort of moving pulley system. We tried both of them at the Croquet club to protect our greens from being dug by the corellas. Even moving the effect works off after a couple of weeks as the smart birds figure they are not being attacked.
JRT's are excellent. My dear girl was the worlds best rodent hunter, and bird and cat chaser till her eyesight went. RIP Janee.
LML
LML
noah.till

I find cap guns and sling shots are best.
I use the cap guns to scare them to start off with, then immediately fire a small to large (depending on the pest) lead fishing sinker out of the sling shot to finish it off.
After a few months, all I need to do is fire the cap gun, no lead sinker out of the sling shot, as after that period of time, the birds and other pests soon associate the cap gun 'BANG' with a lead sinker right fair up their 'ring a ding'
Thanks
Noah Till
davlee

If anyone has an idea how to keep doves & pigeons away, I would like to hear about it. They don't scare the finches at all but leave black blobs of unremoveable (when dried) crap all over my light coloured pavers. They used to stain nearby colourbond fences until I installed fence spikes purchased on Ebay.
noah.till

davlee wrote: 15 Aug 2019, 14:10 If anyone has an idea how to keep doves & pigeons away, I would like to hear about it. They don't scare the finches at all but leave black blobs of unremoveable (when dried) crap all over my light coloured pavers. They used to stain nearby colourbond fences until I installed fence spikes purchased on Ebay.
Use the idea I said above :thumbup:

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”