Butcherbirds - What to Do?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Johntel

Do birds generally get the message if you what Talven suggests?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Depends how smart they are. The smart ones do, the dumb ones don't. Bit like people really.
LML
LML
noah.till

My Butcherbirds got the message in the end a year ago, 2 feet underground that is.....
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have lots of predatory birds...usually it is juveniles learning to hunt that are the worst...l built a planted aviary with a double roofed section at rear...at front of the section I have panels that come down aprox 300mm below aviary height with perches behind...so my inmates just fly in and up ...they cant see predator and visa versa....after a couple of weeks predators give up and try somewhere else...l do have 6mm mesh also in case any of my young cling to wire they are still not injured by them...🤔😊
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The young Goshawks seeking new teritories are a big problem round here. Less for me with the finches than for Mum with her Budgies. Wire, covered with shadecloth on top and mist net over the front. They still manage to get the odd one - usually a young hen with considerable breeding potential - cant help bad luck.
LML
LML
ianmckenzie

yes, you need to build a net holder around the top of your cage.
this is like extending the height of your cage about 1 foot - steel tubular - about 15 mm square . weld it to a plate and attach the plate to the cage.
drill holes in the top of the tube. run a wire from point to point and tie the wire tight.
buy a bird net from AMAZON about 1 inch to 1.5 inch square you want., this is not avaliable in Australia anymore i believe. about $40 - $60
and tie . droop this over the wire frame you have built - the tubular steel needs to come out from the top edge of the cage on about a 45 degrees angle, .
about 12 inches to 18 inches long
so when you throw the bird netting over it., the net droops over the side about 1.5 feet .....and on the top.
so the net would cover the entire cage. but not actually touch it. this does work for birds and cats as well as possums.
wont kill the pests or tangle them - they will direct their preyeness elsewhere as the net deters them and makes it too difficult for them.
the butcher birds will hit the net when swooping - instead of the cage. they eventually will stop coming to your cage.
shnapper20

elferoz777

I cable tied flyscreen on.

worked 100%

they still visit and hit the aviary but the canaries just go right up to them now with no fear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Elf - I spy Budgies. Greens and pieds. Do you show? Mother is busy deciding if she has anything fit to try for the State selection.
By the way excellent idea re the flyscreen.
Last edited by finchbreeder on 03 Apr 2021, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
LML
elferoz777

yup. om breeding show budgies and canaries. hoping to show my first lot this yr
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”