Can keep four males, of different species in large cage?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Karen

Hi. This will be my first time keeping finches. I have a large cage (155cmL, 86cmH, 46cmD) and I am hoping to keep one Gouldian, one double-barred, one zebra and one canary (each male). Based on some recent reading, I'm a bit concerned that this may not work after all. Any advice appreciated.
Thank you
Brisbane_Finches_333

The canarys must not be kept with other finches, they must be on their own, and the zebbies can but will probably be aggressive to the others. The double bar and gouldian will be passive and can be kept together though. If you want another finch to go in with the gouldians and double barrs, try a Bengalese Mannakin.

Thanks,
Aidan
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Karen

Brisbane_Finches_333 wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 16:07 The canarys must not be kept with other finches, they must be on their own, and the zebbies can but will probably be aggressive to the others. The double bar and gouldian will be passive and can be kept together though. If you want another finch to go in with the gouldians and double barrs, try a Bengalese Mannakin.

Thanks,
Aidan
Ok, that (canary can't go in with the others) is what I was starting to realise, but was hoping I was wrong. Oh well, no canary then.
I might try two Gouldians (for colour), one double-barred and one zebra and see how they go. I'll try and set the cage up in the best way possible to help the others to cope with the zebra. I just think the zebbies are so cute. I'll have to find a very friendly one.
I had a look at the Bengalese Mannikin but didn't love as much as the zebras.
Thank you very much for your reply.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I currently keep all four of the species you have listed in your post together. The only ones that are uncomfortable in this situation are the Double Bars. They are too gentle to keep with the more outgoing types. Which is why I am currently adjusting to give them more space now. The other 3 types I have kept in various combos for the past 30 years with only adjustments for individual personalities. All of the 3 come - like us humans - in a mix of personalities. I have had agressive and gentle in all of them. And Gouldians are definately not shrinking voilets.
LML
LML
Brisbane_Finches_333

finchbreeder wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 22:43 I currently keep all four of the species you have listed in your post together.
Wow, almost everyone I know keeps canaries in seperate cages due to their size.
Brisbane_Finches_333

Karen wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 16:57
Brisbane_Finches_333 wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 16:07 The canarys must not be kept with other finches, they must be on their own, and the zebbies can but will probably be aggressive to the others. The double bar and gouldian will be passive and can be kept together though. If you want another finch to go in with the gouldians and double barrs, try a Bengalese Mannakin.

Thanks,
Aidan
Ok, that (canary can't go in with the others) is what I was starting to realise, but was hoping I was wrong.
Actually, forget that, I stuffed up, canaries can be kept in mixed collections so the canary is fine.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Canaries are not that much bigger than Gouldians, longer but not solider (depends on type of canary of course. But Glosters, Fifes, boarders and common old garden variety are not on the big side). But canarys, gouldians and the energetic zebs can intimidate a small quiet species like Double Bars. So everyone who can should have a Double Bars and other small quiet finches only avairy. While the Canaries, Gouldians and Zebs are just fine together particularly in a boys only situation where they are not going to be getting matcho about the girls anyway. Better result in breeding do tend to happen in most species when they are kept in single pair mixed avairies or single type flock avairies.
LML
LML
Karen

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.
Sounds like I should give more thought to the double barred...
Not sure if this is something that can be answered on this forum, but I'm wondering where I can find some reputable finch and canary breeders in the Darling Downs area...
Brisbane_Finches_333

Karen wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 07:34 Not sure if this is something that can be answered on this forum, but I'm wondering where I can find some reputable finch and canary breeders in the Darling Downs area...
There are plenty of people on this forum from toowoomba and the darling downs, just post a topic in the 'Wanted to Buy" subforum stating the type of bird you want and your location, and someone is bound to answer. Or, I know of a club called the Downs Bird Breeders Association that host regular meetings (not sure of the details but other people on this forum will) where you could meet other breeders.
noah.till

Karen wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 07:34 Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.
Sounds like I should give more thought to the double barred...
Not sure if this is something that can be answered on this forum, but I'm wondering where I can find some reputable finch and canary breeders in the Darling Downs area...
Well, your in Luck Karen, I'm in Toowoomba, PM me what you are after and if I do not have them, I can put you in contact with breeders who have them
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”