Blue Gouldians

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Rassie

I need some help please all my blue Gouldian babies die after a wile been taken from their parents.
Can someone please give me some advice I am using breeders .My green and yellow Gouldian no problems.
I am from South Africa.Thanks.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I asume you are doing everything the same with the blues as with the greens and yellows? Are you breeding Blue to Blue? or Blue to split? or Blue to Normal?
LML
LML
Craig52

Hi Rassie, yes here in Aus we had the same experience with young blues originally. Firstly, blues were mass produced under bengalese manikins that were thought to have passed on diseases but in my opinion that was not totally correct.
The other problem was breeding blue to blue which for a weak mutation should have never been done, breeding should be always a blue and a split or a blue to a normal to get splits for future breeding.
The main problem other than my last paragraph is they suffer from vitamin deficiencies in particular vitamin E and D3. This needs to be supplied in adults breeding foods as a permanent supplement as a multivitamin and mineral plus amino acid liquid or powder sprinkled on their soft food.
For some reason after a few years of having done this all blues in Aust' seem to be strong and as healthy as a normals but in saying that,continue to breed a colour and split to out cross bloodlines. Always breed a colour and a split together.
Rassie

I am breeding split to split. Thanks for the advice wil try it.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

With split to split you have no way of knowing if the 75% that are not blue are carrying the blue gene or not. While I understand the need to use this combination when Blues are hard to get. It is the worst possible combination for producing worthwhile breeding stock. Hope things pick up for you.
LML
LML
E Orix

Rassie
What part of Sth Africa are you from.
There may be some local assistance available
BellaBlue

finchbreeder wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 23:28 With split to split you have no way of knowing if the 75% that are not blue are carrying the blue gene or not. While I understand the need to use this combination when Blues are hard to get. It is the worst possible combination for producing worthwhile breeding stock. Hope things pick up for you.
LML
Well said FB,
Blues are the in thing atm. Im not to sure many worry to much about the breeding stock its more about just breeding them and making good $$
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sadly some people totally do not understand genetics. I know it is not always the easiest thing to get the head arround sometimes. (Have been confused silly myself from time to time - but stuck to it.) Because it is important to do right by your fellow birdos and not sell them "split birds" that you cannot in fact confirm are "split" not just "possible split".
LML
LML
BellaBlue

And pretty much they would only know what they have really bred through selective breeding.
I guess it all comes down to how involved ppl want to be with breeding.
Yes I will say genetics can and does get confusing at times.
I no with my dogs and horses when it comes to genetics it can get quite overwhelming especiaoly when you breed merles and perlino's were lethal genes become involved....
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some people believe there is a lethal gene involved in Blue Gouldian to Blue Gouldian. As there is in Gloster Canary to Gloster Canary. So life is easier if the breeder keeps good records.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”