Yellows

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
arthur

Any comments on availability, price, etc on . .

"Yellow" Redbrows . .

"Yellow" RC Cordons

"Yellow" Crimsons
Craig52

44261211_10217111001112117_2392131337436790784_n.jpg
Yellow redbrows, very hard or impossible to breed from females. All yellow redbrows i have seen are hens and the several i have tried to breed from were infertile from several different males used. Never seen or seen a pic of a yellow cock bird. I believe this to be why they haven't been established. Price $500 each

There are yellow cheek cordons being bred in Qld and WA and most likely NSW. I have no experience with these. Price not sure but probably 2 to 3 times normal birds.

Yellow crimsons, not established yet although would be quite easy if obtainable. Some in the wild but plenty bred oversea's, in particular Europe,in fact they struggle to get pure crimson one's now . Price here probably a grand a pr. Pic is bird in the wild Northern WA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That Crimson is one nice looking bird. Generally I see a yellow version of a Red bird and prefer the original. But if Crimsons all look this good this I could fancy. Sounds like they must be recessive and sex linked? But like lots of first mutations, in need of lots of careful outcrossing and record keeping.
LML
LML
noah.till

Has anyone seen the "Yellow Melba's" before, and have they ever been in Australian aviculture
I remember seeing some yellow cordons for sale somewhere but I cannot remember where
There was a bloke from Armidale on Pet link wanting to trade orange cheeked wax bills for yellow red rows, yellows cordons, and a few rarities like Aberdeens
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Craig52

FB, i know the person who has this bird in their backyard in Northern WA. It has paired up with the hen crimson in the pic and their second breeding season has just finished but no yellow young have been seen.
The mutation mode is most likely autosomal recessive because no coloured young hens have been spotted of which would mean it's not Sexlinked. All their young would be split for yellow.

Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Craig - good to hear that it is doing well. Autosomal recessive would make sence if nothing has shown up yet. Thanks for the info.
LML
LML
noah.till

I think the yellow cordons I saw were at the $400 to $600 mark
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”