Finches for cabinets

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
elferoz777

Hi all

Im restricted to a bird room for the next few yrs which suits me well as im into euro finches, canaries and budgies. The room had massive windows and gets great sun gand air flow.

Wondering what finches aussie or other wise would be suitable for cabinets breeding?

Looking to use the canary triple breeders.

Thanks in advance!
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I believe that Gouldians and Zebs are your best bets. And as both have interesting mutations that makes this even more practical.
LML
LML
noah.till

Adjustments can be made such as brush across the cage front to add privacy, which a lot of finches being bred in cabinets will take favorably to
Ruddies, Parrot finches and Munias would do fine
As far as I know, if they use a nesting receptacle, and don't require high privacy and special other needs, they would do fine
In Russel Kingstons latest book, he mentions for each species he does a report on, if they are suitable for cabinet breeding
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Brisbane_Finches_333

Probably Zebbies and Gouldians is what I’d recommend because they are so common in cabinets across the world. I wouldn’t do the Parrot Finches though because they are very active.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
noah.till

Brisbane_Finches_333 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 15:58 Probably Zebbies and Gouldians is what I’d recommend because they are so common in cabinets across the world. I wouldn’t do the Parrot Finches though because they are very active.
Aidan,
There are big breeders overseas Breeding parrot finches in cabinets in Russels book
They have everything breeding in them from Blue faced to pin tailed and Pealea
Brisbane_Finches_333

Wow, that takes me by surprise because what I have read says Parrot Finches are ‘Extremely Active’ and need a large, Planted aviary to thrive. Even Pin Tailed Parrot Finches, who would’ve thought? That makes me wonder if us aussies could learn a lesson or two about Parrot Finches. I do want to buy Russell’s book though, it is a bit expensive, but hopefully I can sell the baby BFPFs and get some money off that, because they’ve built a nest (finally), but I don’t know how many hatched (I found one chick dead on the floor this morning, so I’m hopeful).
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Many europeans have no choice but to cabinet breed because of lack of space. But they are breeding from birds that have been bred that way for generations in some cases. And many would love the luxury of the better situation we have here in Australia, where we can put birds in avairys.
LML
LML
noah.till

finchbreeder wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 23:47 Many europeans have no choice but to cabinet breed because of lack of space. But they are breeding from birds that have been bred that way for generations in some cases. And many would love the luxury of the better situation we have here in Australia, where we can put birds in avairys.
LML
That's exactly right, but unfortunately with back yards becoming smaller, it might be an only choice
Thanks
Noah Till
Brisbane_Finches_333

noah.till wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 19:24
finchbreeder wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 23:47 Many europeans have no choice but to cabinet breed because of lack of space. But they are breeding from birds that have been bred that way for generations in some cases. And many would love the luxury of the better situation we have here in Australia, where we can put birds in avairys.
LML
That's exactly right, but unfortunately with back yards becoming smaller, it might be an only choice
Thanks
Noah Till
That is absolutely true, because Bardon (where I live) has literally been stripped of all their backyards by developers. Literally ANY house for sale with a decent sized backyard will always be snatched by developers for big sums of money and then made bigger, subdivided or knocked down and rebuilt as townhouses. I have recorded 5 developments on my street (and the one behind) in this year where houses with big backyards have been absolutely destroyed and rebuilt because my suburb is so in demand.
noah.till

It's disgraceful , but back on topic everyone
Thanks
Noah Till

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”