Is my Java Finch unwell ?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
mmq

Thanks for all your help ! I found a young female. She was born this year and hasn't got her full adult colors yet. I introduced her to my male a few days ago and he is already much more calm. His strange behavior stopped. Now he flies back and forth with the female but mostly seems like exercise as they often stop to rest or take a nap together. They seem to get along well ! The male also exhibited a new behavior, he sings and jumps on his feet. I'm guessing that's some kind of dance for the female.
I also removed their feeder and i just spray seeds on the sand on the bottom of the cage so they have to look for food instead of having it there for them.
I still have some troubles getting them to eat fruits, i tried apples and banana but they haven't touched it yet.
Brisbane_Finches_333

mmq wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 01:36 I still have some troubles getting them to eat fruits, i tried apples and banana but they haven't touched it yet.
Try some veggies, my birds get some leafy greens (silverbeet, kale etc) and a wedge of lebanese cucumber which they love. If you can find tall grass with seed heads, give that to the birds and see if they like that.

Just don't feed avocado or lettuce.

Thanks,
Aidan
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like your male is making a move on the female. If she is not yet coloured up - do not give them a nest for 6 months. Birds vary in their food preferences as we do. But I have not found Javas to be interested in fruit. Take Aidans advice re vegetables and grasses. Any type of cucumber can be fed a wedge a day should do for 2 birds. Healthier to put their seed in a feeder than on the ground where they may poop on it, giving them the veges in different containers round the floor will let them forage. Making sure the containers are not under perches. Enjoy discovering what they like.
LML
LML
Brisbane_Finches_333

finchbreeder wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 09:57 do not give them a nest for 6 months.
If you don't want them to breed at all then don't give them a nest.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”