Gouldian Health

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Don Greenwood

Hi, Can anyone tell me why my Gouldians are losing their head feathers. I have photos but I can't work out how to attach them. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Kind regards. Don Greenwood.
matcho

If they are being replaced by pin feathers it is because now is the time they are just about finished their moult. Happens every year around this time. Little bit late in my opinion as mine have just about finished but still have a few pinfeathers on the head which are the most noticeable. If they are going "bald", could be something more insidious but bearing in mind of the time of the year I wouldn't be too concerned unless the feathers do not grow back. Keep up the greens, grit, sprouted seed and vitamins if you so desire as the moult takes a fair bit out of them. No doubt someone here will chime in but photos would be helpful.

Good luck

Ken
starman

In addition to Ken's comments..... Some Gouldians seem to be genetically predisposed to a condition that causes a loss of head feathers. The feathers can often be regenerated through the moulting process, but the condition can be persistent and even permanent (usually in older birds).
This leaves the birds with an unappealing vulture-like appearance and an apparent lack of vitality.
These birds are not good candidates for breeding programs.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”