Geckos

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
collector_and_buyer

Has anybody heard of spraying Dettol around to kill Geckos.Apparently you mix up half Dettol to half Water and spray.My question is would any residue around be toxic to birds if it is sprayed on walls etc where the Geckos may live.Have lost nests with eggs ready to hatch and tiny young and have seen these little mongrels in the aviary.
Rod_L

Geckoes don't normally take birds. Are you sure the geckoes are the problem and not mice or rats?

Dettol does leave a residue behind but if it's on the walls of the aviary, the birds won't be landing on it so it should be fine. However, if there are perches or branches next to the area that was sprayed, the birds could come in contact with it then.

I'm not sure Dettol repels reptiles but it might smell bad to the birds.
death to all cats & ants
collector_and_buyer

Hello Rod,my aviary is completely rodent and snake proof.I have lost eggs in the nest,tiny young and have had birds abandoned the nest overnight.Contrary to what some people think or say,they do take the above and i have seen them in my aviary.A friend of mine has told me to spray them with the Dettol mix and it does kill them,but the problem is that they are mostly nocturnal.Wonder if the residue would either deter or kill them.
noah.till

I know someone who would go around with a vacuum cleaner, suck them up, then spray Moretein down the nozzle -What a way to die!
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
arthur

Geckoes DO take newly hatched finches, whether they are capable of eating eggs or not is inconsequential . . Asian House G's are probably worse than the native species . . but if you've got geckoes; you've got problems

'Coopex Wettable' has been recommended for surfaces . . residual and non-toxic to birds . . Coopex powder can be used in nestboxes

Unfortunately both approaches meet with limited success

Back in the 'good old days' I used to harvest Geckoes from around my patio lights with a fly-swat for the Magpie Robins, who would consume them dead or alive . . but they are wily little critters and would soon work out what was going on and disappear

Geckoes are a finch-breeder's nightmare
collector_and_buyer

Totally agree Arthur.I know they are the problem,but don't know of a foolproof way of totally eradicating them.As mentioned,they are predominately nocturnal and i don't think the birds would appreciate me in there of a night ,torch in hand looking for them.These are the Asian geckos,not our Aussie ones and a real pest.Wonder if the smell of the Dettol would be off putting to the birds or is their sense of smell not so good?.Perhaps if someone on here has some Vet experience,they may know.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It might be another one of those cases of differrent states, different critters. I have never seen a gecko in my avairies here in the West. While we have our annual mice problem, endevouring to keep the little blighters out.
LML
LML
Storz

I agree finch breeder different states different critters, no geckos here and surprisingly no mice this year but still plenty of tiger snakes to contend with in the aviary Recolated two this season which is down on other years but maybe because of no mice but I have plenty of frogs. Maybe the dettol will keep snakes at bay
Kdawg

I get the native marbled geckos in my aviaries here in Melbourne and they don't seem to be a problem.
noah.till

I get the Robust's Velvet geckos, and they are big buggers that would eat a chick or egg easily, but do not and I have never had problems in the aviaries, even though they are all over the walls in the house and outside.
I think if you house lights shining on your aviary or you have lights in your aviary, I think thats when the move in and decide your aviary is a top little spot to breed and feed
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”