On The Perch bird park is closing down

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sad news from On The Perch bird park on the sapphire coast. They've announced on their website that they'll be permanently shutting their doors on February 14th.
As we are all aware, the largest bushfire emergency in Australia’s history has resulted in the disastrous loss of life, thousands of homes, millions of hectares of habitat, and more than 1 billion native animals. Even on the south coast, nearly 900 homes were destroyed south of Batemans Bay with more than 350 of these in our local area. As I write this today, the seaside towns of Bermagui and Narooma are under threat. Today, the news will go public that the bird park will close its doors. Our last day will be February 14, 2020.

The emotional stress on us both has been immense! Since the Tathra 2018 fires, the bird park has been at risk several times and forced evacuations of only part of the collection while leaving the rest, has taken its toll on our mental well-being. The safety and well-being of the birds has always been our highest priority, and since these fires, we have acknowledged that we just can’t guarantee the welfare of the sanctuary’s residents any longer, particularly given that the bird park is not defendable from the types of fires we have seen in recent weeks.
noah.till

It's terrible news, I followed their story from the very start and never got the chance to visit the park to my extreme disappointment.
They have a GoFundMe page set up to help them get their birds off to other parks and zoos.
That's what was the Sass families dream having that park, and from the beginning they made so much progress and new developments, it's amazing what they did in the short period of time they had the park.
I wish all the staff and birds there the best of wishes, and I hope all their birds are rehomed safely and happily, and the Sass family are able to get back on their feet again.
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Brisbane_Finches_333

Extremely sad, isn’t it, to see such a loss to aviculture. Always was a dream of mine to visit one day. Anyone know the link to that GoFundMe page because I would be more than happy to donate to them.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Brisbane_Finches_333

Wait, I found the gofundme page, if anyone needs it it’s right here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/1vdkmlt9hc?u ... hare-sheet
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry to see anyones business dream fail through no fault of their own. No doubt they will be able to rehome all the birds to other sancturies or breeders.
Hope they and others effected by these bushfires can rebuild their own lives also. There will need to be a great deal of rethinking how to bushfire proof some of these areas in the next year and beyond.
LML
LML
garyh

Visited the park a couple of times ,it was growing into something very special,sad to see it close,garyh
collector_and_buyer

I met Steve and Linda when i attended their first Finch and Softbill workshop and would have to say that you would not meet a more accommodating and personable couple.Nothing was a problem and any question eagerly answered,they truly love their birds.I wish them luck with their future,whether it is there or somewhere else.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”