Safe wood for Goldfinch

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Crimrol

Hi Guys

Looking to make the small wooden cages that you usually see Goldfinch and Mules in
Been reading and talking to people about what wood to use and it has slowly started to do my head in, I am overthinking it all

Options are to either use untreated pine or maranti wood, this is what i have narrowed it down to as both are easily accessible from Bunnings
I was going to use Cedar but apparently its not sold anywhere near me.... Bars will be 1.6mm stainless steal rods

Has anyone ever tried doing this in the chat, and if so did you use another type of wood?

My old bird room and flight was pine with no issues at all

Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully this weekend i can settle my mind and just start and show my progress on here...

Rocco
Rod_L

Plyboard or laminated chipboard. Whatever you use, seal it to stop it rotting. Avoid particle board or MDF if it' not laminated because the glue is poisonous.
death to all cats & ants
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please - unless it is for short term display or training only - do not put your birds in these small wooden boxs that are like prison cells. Birds are like people, they should live in spacious residences. And only spend short periods of time in the "office" (small box) I would think that either pine or maranti would be fine, clear varnish it for best appearance.
LML
LML
Brisbane_Finches_333

finchbreeder wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 09:47 Please - unless it is for short term display or training only - do not put your birds in these small wooden boxes that are like prison cells. Birds are like people, they should live in spacious residences. And only spend short periods of time in the "office" (small box) I would think that either pine or maranti would be fine, clear varnish it for best appearance.
LML
I completely agree with you finchbreeder, by the way my aviary's made of pine so I'm pretty sure that pine would be alright.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”