Coronavirus and bird sales

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
garyh

wondering the thoughts of others of the effect that this virus might have on the attendances of bird expos,most are very congested and a lot of people contact,with the geelong sale soon are birdos going to attend or ignore,cheers garyh
noah.till

I was thinking the same thing mate this morning, especially about the Finches20 convention
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Those with health issue or of a mature vintage are those at most risk, so these are the people who may not attend. And as more finchos are over 50 than under, that could have an effect. Sensible precautions are cleaning car and house door handles. (The first things you touch when leaving a gathering and when getting home.) And forget stockpiling anything you are not going to use in the next 3 weeks, unless you would normally stockpile these items.
Keep well all.
LML
LML
collector_and_buyer

Take a trailer load of toilet paper and may be able to trade for some good birds.But,seriously,this really will have an effect on numerous gatherings throughout OZ.Stay safe the best you can everybody.
Rod_L

collector_and_buyer wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 10:25 Take a trailer load of toilet paper and may be able to trade for some good birds.
LOL :)

----------------------
I am wondering why the government hasn't cancelled all mass gatherings until this thing is over. We have the Mandurah crab festival this weekend and tens of thousands are meant to come down here. This is just appalling because anyone number of those people could be infected and bring the virus here. I'm not saying it isn't already here, but I don't want more cases of it here.

There is also a 4wd and outdoor show in Perth in a couple of weeks and that is another chance for people to spread it.

The country needs to be shut down until this is over. Anyone coming into the country should automatically be quarantined at the airports and mass gatherings should be stopped. And a law should be enacted saying if you have a flu virus, contact this number and stay at home. Then the government can send food and supplies to that house and nobody else needs to get infected.

This is just stupid when sick people are allowed out to spread a pandemic flu virus that can kill anyone over 50 or anyone with heart or lung problems, or diabetes or cancer. Sick people need to stay at home and stop spreading the damn virus.
death to all cats & ants
Craig52

I agree with Gary, although my thoughts are with the recent Orange bird sale. I was asked to go with some local fellow aviculturists but it was too soon after my recent lose and for fear of getting the virus at my age in my late 60's.
NSW is the hot spot for the virus so close contact is inedible with us oldies shaking hands with interstate old mates who only see each other maybe once a year.
Not all of us carry around hand sanitisers before shaking hands with anyone and as Aussies this is our characteristic way to greet anyone.
So yes i do think we may have to avoid any gatherings where we will be in close contact with people and any clubs and organizations should have a very close look at the situation we are now in because organizing a bird sale with heaps of sellers and no buyers is a total waste of time/money and effort imo.
collector_and_buyer

I live in Young NSW and our council has called our Chinese festival off for 2020.Not sure if the reasons were right or not,but think it was the right decision.We are in for a rough ride in the near future,so hold on tight.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mum was busy gearing up for a young bird show (Budgies) in the city. Then decided, better enquire if it is going ahead rather than drive 450KMs to a cancelled event. Hmm and what about her health, after all she is on the mature side of 85
LML
LML
Alf63

I attended Orange Sale and will continue with my normal activities including future bird sales, the football etc. I am pushing toward 60 and will take my chances. The actual number of cases is quite small

While the virus is serious and to be taken into consideration it is clear the rampant panic is far more dangerous. When people are prepared to fight over toilet paper then god help us if we have a genuine disaster.
Rod_L

Don't be too complacent about the virus. I drove into town today and went to BigW. There were 2 workers there that had a cold or flu virus. They had running sniffly nose, watery eyes and were sneezing on the clothing.

When infected people willingly go into work, then there is a problem. These 2 middle aged female workers should not have been at the shop and have contaminated a huge section of stock at the shop. Who knows how many people will be infected because of them.
death to all cats & ants

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”