Dead Gouldian Finch

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
JHPM

Hi everyone. I had a perfectly healthy Male Gouldian that was very active , eating well. I came to my aviary This morning to find it dead on the floor. It is a Cold day in Melbourne today with strong winds. However the aviary was covered to minimise the wind. The other birds are doing fine. Would someone have an idea on what must have gone wrong ?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Had anything been changed in the avairy in the previous 48hrs? e.g. rearranging perches, nests, adding perches or brush? I have lost a bird after doing this when they got a night fright and flew into a new fixture. Or if the bird was near the wire could still be a night fright crash.
LML
LML
Rod_L

Is the roof of the aviary covered?
Gouldians like to sleep out in the open at night even when it's cold. If it rains they can get wet and freeze overnight.

I would set a cat trap and take out any cats hanging around your aviary at night. 99% of birds that die during the night are scared by something hanging around the aviary and they panic fly into the wire and crack their skulls open and die.

Cats can also catch and spread the coronavirus so kill any you catch and wash up well afterwards. The less cats around the aviary, the better for the birds and you.
death to all cats & ants
E Orix

How old was the the Gouldian
JHPM

Thank you. The Roof is covered. I have also covered the sides with panels so that the wind does not get them. It was about 10 months old
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rod_L wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 04:58 Cats can also catch and spread the coronavirus so kill any you catch and wash up well afterwards. The less cats around the aviary, the better for the birds and you.
Just want to add that you should consult your local authorities before proceeding with the extermination of any animal or bird pest in your area. :innocent:

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”