Geriatric birds

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Redwing

Have realised that my aviary, over the last couple of years consists mainly of geriatric males. The youngest is probably 5 oldest around 8. Not sure what the best management strategy is. Any advice would be welcome.
elferoz777

give them to a nursing home who may just want pet's ot chuck em on gumtree for free. disclose the age and state they'd be great for kids or a mixed collection to look at. there are bird keepers out there that aren't breeders.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or buy them some younger companions. Pairs and trios, so that you get some young even if the old boys are no longer the life of the party. (But you might get a pleasant surprise - and so might they.) What sorts do you have still?
LML
LML
Redwing

Hi Finchbreeder, my extra males are 3 painteds and 2 African fires
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Redwing, long time no see. Those are both lovely little birds that are not too hard to source, so why not give the "trio of friends" route a go? I would. Put a wanted add on here and see what response you get. Or there has been an add for painteds etc on Gumtree (Armidale) for about 10days now.
LML
LML
Rod_L

Try to find a couple of females to go with them or just leave them be. If you start moving old birds they can stress and die, especially at this time of year when it's really cold and wet.
death to all cats & ants
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a retirement aviary where older birds can enjoy their last years, while freeing up space in the main aviary for virile young birds. They still have access to nest boxes, greens, live food, etc; and inevitably there's a few chicks bred each year.

I've found Painteds (the males, at least) to be one of those species that keep breeding fairly consistently right to the end.
Redwing

Thanks for your advice everyone. I couldn't see any for sale on gumtree but will try and get a few young girls and see what happens.
Rod_L

Redwing wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 22:30 Thanks for your advice everyone. I couldn't see any for sale on gumtree but will try and get a few young girls and see what happens.
If you find any nice girlies around 18-21, send them my way :)
death to all cats & ants
Greg41

Hi Redwing, we hope to have a sale in Sept , there will be heaps of birds for sale if it goes ahead.
Cheers
Greg
GDG

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”