Red Faced Parrot Finches - M or F

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
glog1

Anyone care to take a guess at the sex of these 2 individuals:
RFParrotFinch.jpg
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

Bit hard to tell with that foggy looking pic though at a guess both cock birds, the top one at least. Craig
Rod_L

I can't help with sexing them but they look puffed up and unwell/ unhappy.
Was it a cold morning when you took the pictures or are they normally puffed up like that?
If they are normally like that you should make sure the cage/ aviary is free of cold draughts and maybe put a clear plastic sheet over the cage to help trap heat. If they don't improve with warmth, then maybe get them checked by a bird vet.
death to all cats & ants
glog1

Thanks for the input, yes the photos aren't the best had to zoom in and as you all know they don't hang around in the one spot for long!
Fortunately, they are hale and healthy. It just must have been a bad moment for them when the picture was taken.
In fact, they are vigorously nest building with the joys of Summer. And as always with this species, first up and last to sleep.

I do know that at least 1 is a cock as I heard it sing, which apparently hens don't do.
I guess, time will tell if eggs appear or not - I still have my suspicions!
E Orix

Sick birds don't roost one legged. If they are ill they use both feet on the perch to balance
davlee

What features give a clue as to sex?
Craig52

The main clue is the break behind the eye in the red as well as a mature hen has the black lore between the eye and the beak.
The cock birds green is brighter more iridescent and the red on the face and tail is a brighter red in direct sunshine. Some males display red feathers around the vent and all males can be sexed by the vent the same as canaries are sexed which is difficult to explain on here.
Only the male has a longer trill than a female, in good condition males seem to be more active than females.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”