Blue Gouldian care

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
JHPM

Hi everyone. Thinking of adding a Blue Gouldian male to my outdoor aviary today. The Aviary consist of normal Gouldians , and split blue hen and a pair of zebras. I’m located in Victoria and would like to know if I have to give the blue back special care ? Are there life span the same as normals.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They're supposedly still a little bit weaker than normal Gouldians. If you're already providing the Gouldians with lots of seeding grasses and leafy greens in a well-considered aviary, a blue boy will do fine.
Craig52

Everything should be fine but you need to pr the blue cock to the split blue hen and keep them separate to the normal gouldians.
This way you know their prodgency, either blue young or normal looking definite split blues due to the mutation being autosomal recessive.
If you leave them as they are you are just polluting the normal birds young as possible splits, splits and normals and when you go to sell them nobody knows what they are really getting.
The idea of mutation breeding is to keep it separate to normal wild type birds but add new normal blood when needed to produce known split birds.
Blue gouldians still need a vitamin boost, in particular Vit A and E which is supplied by the product Soluminavite from Allfarm products in Melbourne Victoria. It doesn't hurt to supply all your finches with this product once a week by directions.
JHPM

Thank you.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”