Couple of issues

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Gfinchman

I just introduced a new pair of gouldians to the aviary after a quarantine and they have immediately started scratching. I was observing them during quarantine and this wasn't their usual behaivour so I was wondering if this is mites or stress induced. I wouldn't have thought mites would be so quick?
Also to treat this I have some breeders secret 3 in 1 is this the appropriate product? I also have a liberal supply of Coopex but have only ever used this for cleaning cages, can it be used in this case?

The second problem is with my original Gouldian male. He is really just a bully to all the other birds including the new Gouldians. Should I just isolate him?

thanks.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How many Gouldians are in the avairy? What size is the avairy?
LML
Gfinchman

it's the internal one so 6 birds 60cm X 130cm
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The bullying issue, could really be a crowding issue. Though it is normal for the dominant cock to make sure the others know he is the dominant cock. How far he goes to do that is the question. If it settles down within a couple of days, then all is fine. If not you need another cage for him and his mate. If intending to breed 4 next boxs for 3 hens is the go. Every lady must have a choice. :D
LML
Craig52

I'm thinking too many for that cage which is most suitable for one pr of finches in particular if you intend to breed them.
I'm also thinking the itching you are talking about is stress preening not mites.
On another note, Coopex is residual and non toxic to birds but care must be taken to remove seed/ food and water till it dries. Finches can be sprayed lightly at the same time you spray your cage.
Moxidectin is the best product for mites and can be given in their water at 5 ml per litre of water for 24hrs. You can also apply straight, put one drop on the bare skin on the back of the neck for a once only application.
Gfinchman

Thanks for that. I'm keeping an eye on it, it's settling a bit but the male is still assertive especially at the top of the cage. The crowding might be a challenge, I wanted to keep them indoors if possible and keep them in 3 pairs to run a colony. But if the crowding is causing the stress I'll reconsider.
I've started to treat with the 3 in 1 in the water which is ivermectic based. I'll look at a Moxidectin product if you have any recommendations?
If the scratching persists I'll do a full cleanout of the aviary.
I'm glad the coopex is relatively safe for the birds as there seems to be differing opinions.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Both my mother and I regularly use Coopex round the avairies to control ants and roaches. But we tend to avoid spraying it on the birds - just cautious. The quail eat roaches that have been poisoned with Coopex and do not sufer any ill effects.
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”