java sparrows on eggs

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
elferoz777

first time with Java's.

got some eggs, hoping they do well.

anyone else got any experiencia with Java's?

I never like them when I was younger though ive started to really like them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't have any now. But did for quite some time. Boxes are good nests for them, don;t let them have access to small nests. My stupid birds started out using boxs then graduated to stuffing themselves and their chicks into a metal fishing float - less than 6 inches accross. Don;t know how they squeezed in the entry hole and it was so cramped that they lost half the young. Emptying that was disgusting. Had batches of from 2 to 7 chicks at a time. A very hansom bird.
LML
matcho

I had them many years ago as a youngster and they bred as easily as zebs. Just make sure as has been mention that they have a larger style nest box, as some of the clutches can be quite large and the chicks are a lot bigger as well. Had the luxury of relatives in Leeton who owned a rice farm who used to send up green rice sprays which they relished as food and nesting material. Good luck with them they certainly are a beautiful looking bird but are quite bullying at times. For that reason I tended to keep them seperate from others.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mine were fine with the Zebs - bar being stupid enough to go in a tight Zeb nest.
LML
elferoz777

well there we six eggs as of this morning......wonder how many ill end up with. Most of them look good despite being fresh.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not a species I've ever kept, but I rather like how "well dressed" they look with their tight glossy feathering.

Looks like they're doing really well for you—congrats.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”