Cubans and canaries

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Redwing

I'm in the process of extending my small aviary. In a few days I'll need to take the 4 canaries who live in it while I do a bit of a Reno and join the two halves together. I'm not sure where to put the canaries for a couple of days while I do this. My other aviary includes a pair of Cubans. He's never been any trouble over the years but is it too muon a risk to put the canaries in with him? Would appreciate some advice please
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice to hear from you again. I have had Cubans and canaries together. With 4 canaries to cope with he should be sufficiently overwhelmed to not be too big a bother. That's what I found when I had them together. My boy would bluster back and forth, so they knew he was in charge, but not actually hurt them. But I have had different personalities in Cubans over the years too.
LML
Craig52

Most cubans hate other birds with yellow plumage so be very careful and keep an eye on him with them. At the moment cubans come in all temperaments from being really aggressive, mildly aggressive or live in harmony with other finches with yellow plumage or in some cases green plumage finches like blueface PF.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”