Newbie Canary/Zebra Finch questions

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
benflux

I used to keep finches and budgies in the UK in my teen years, I'm now 45 and would like to re-visit this hobby here in Brisbane.

My thoughts are that I'd rather avoid the noise issues that come with budgies and go straight to finches. I would like to breed, I know that Zebra finches are pretty easy to breed (from memory) but i'd like to try my hand at Canary breeding too.

Assume its ok to mix these (as I used to), so my first question really is, can I keep Canaries and Zebra Finches in an outdoor aviary all year round in Brisbane, QLD?

Second question, do they need indoor areas for night time? In the UK when it froze at night, I would have to shut them away each night.
Brisbane_Finches_333

Yes, you can keep them outside year-round in Brisbane. Most aviaries have an open flight section and an enclosed shelter section, the birds will go in the shelter section at night (no need to move them inside at night).

I highly reccomend joining the Queensland Finch Society (at www.qfs.org.au ) and going to one of their meetings (first Friday of every month at the Morningside School of Arts Hall), you can talk to experienced breeders about finches. Also the Finch Society has a finch sale at Strathpine Community centre on the 16th of May (details on website). I'll be selling Zebra Finches, and there will probably be someone selling canaries.

Thanks,
Aidan
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum. Excellent advice from Aidan as usual. I keep the 2 species together. But keep a watch on the Zeb numbers as they will breed a lot faster than the Canaries. Always make sure you have at least 1 more nest than you do hen birds (each type of nest) e.g. cup nests for canaries and whatever other type you choose to use for your Zebs. Who are very adaptable and will use. Hanging baskets, wood or cardboard boxs, empty flower pots and even some old vases. Enjoy.
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”