Mix with Zebra finches?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Ribar

Hi All,

I’ve recently introduced 3pairs of Zebra’s into new aviary 170cm (height) by 80cm. They are doing great and settling in nicely happily hopping between the 4 nests.

Had my heart on introducing a pair of Gouldians, but getting mixed views on how they’d fair in a small colony of Zebra’s.

Any advice on which species of finch are most compatible with Zebra would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Brisbane_Finches_333

Hi,

Personally I think that aviary is too small for another pair, my rule of thumb is 1 square metre per pair of birds. Zebra Finches are very aggressive and do not get along well with most other finches, maybe excepting Bengalese. Add more nests to the aviary so they have lots of options to nest in, I usually have 2-3 nests per pair.

Good luck with your finches!

Thanks
Aidan
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
elferoz777

That aviary is over crowded as is. If (more like when!)the zebs have babies it'll get very crowded.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You say the cage is 170cm high x 80cm. Is that 80cm square? or 80cm x some other dimention? If square - I concure with the comments above about the number of birds - it is full. Welcome to the Forum and to birdkeeping.
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”