Selecting zebras

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
dazzab

Hi all. I hope everyone is well. It’s been a couple of years since being active in the forum. Back then I battled with a few different species but was never able to have any luck breeding. In the end I stopped trying and got a few pairs of zebras. Now they are all I have. Over the last couple of years I’ve managed to breed a few birds. About 30 or so. I’ve tried to stick with the normal colour bird but I know my stock have split traits in them. I actually like the look of a normal coloured zebra. I figure when spring comes around and I cull I might as well pick the best birds to continue breeding from. As I have little experience in this process I’d like to know what traits I should look for in my birds to keep and breed from? For both the hens and cocks? I have space for 3-4 pairs.
Thanks for any help.
Daz
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hopefully some of the members that show Zebs will respond. For myself, I just pick the traits I like, as I breed Zebs for colour mutations and my personal enjoyment. Glad to hear the Zebs have done the right thing by you too.
LML
elferoz777

I personally go for size.

head shape is desirable, especially the large bullish head. I can breed colour into size later
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”