What are your 2021 breeding projects?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The spring breeding season is just around the corner!

Is anyone excited to be breeding anything new this year? Perhaps a species they've never kept before, or a particular mutation they've been working on. Would love to hear what you guys are up to.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

More of what I have been doing over the past couple of seasons. Improving the Red Zebs. Hopefully - getting something out of the double Bars. Some nice Gloster canaries would go down well too. Nothing new.
LML
noah.till

Trying to get more and more White bellied munias on the perch for the breeding program. Also trying to get some Aberdeens out, had them lay eggs last week but being first time parents they haven’t done a good job. Also giving red faced pytillias, yellow siskins and a new mutation of star I’m working on a go
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
elferoz777

improving my red zebs. I've revived my stock after nearly losing them all to mega bacterias in 2016. had this line of Red chested and Red fronted since 2013.
also trying to get my alumina stock going.
I wanna increase my java stock. so far so good.

most importantly I want to develop my agate yellow mosaic line of canaries. as you can see im 50% there but still two season away. ill need to really be on my game with this one. I've got some phaeo stock mixed I also.

hoping to also grow my own greens and millet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Gympie birds

I have currently, 2 pairs of strawberry finches breeding and sitting, I have kept clear of the nest so fingers cross they will be successful. I have painteds breeding split fawns and normal birds I have currently 5 chicks all spit up between 3 pairs. I have orange waxbills sitting and a pied orange waxbill looking at breeding fingers cross she breeds. I have a lizard and gloster Canary breeding making their own nest. I have one plumheaded finch chick out of the nest. I have one pair of cut throats breeding. I have chestnuts making nests along with long tails, gouldians and pied ruddies, tri coloured parrot finches. My red faced parrot finches have bred well I have had two pied chicks out and my sea greens, normal and pied pairs are all going to nest. I am waiting on my yellow body stars to breed but I only got these two pairs 2 weeks ago. I also waiting on my other pairs of canaries and my Jacarini pair to also breed and my last pair of strawberry finch. Unfortunately my yellow painted breeding program is on hold until I get a yellow male as I lost the male while the hen was on the nest. She left the nest but I moved the eggs under normal hens so maybe I might get some yellows.
Jonleelf

My 2021/22 project will be mainly Gouldian. This year managed to breed some Cinnamon, Cinnamon with Blues, Cinnamon with Limes and Cinnamon with AVB. Also bred some Lime with Blues (2nd generation). My 2021/22 project will expand on these. Keen to learn from the members as I produced quite a few splits from these combinations and what should be my next step. Happy to share the outcomes of the off springs when they coloured up.
elferoz777

Jonleelf wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 22:46 My 2021/22 project will be mainly Gouldian. This year managed to breed some Cinnamon, Cinnamon with Blues, Cinnamon with Limes and Cinnamon with AVB. Also bred some Lime with Blues (2nd generation). My 2021/22 project will expand on these. Keen to learn from the members as I produced quite a few splits from these combinations and what should be my next step. Happy to share the outcomes of the off springs when they coloured up.
sounds interesting.

I'm curious as to how the young chicks look I.e skin colour and nodules
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
BrettB

I am hoping to get my Masks breeding this year. 4 young birds last year turned out to be one cock and three hens. Built three nests and laid eggs but I think they were all clear. Hoping to buy / swap for another cock bird to mix things up a bit and hopefully improve the fertility / nesting success.
Also reduced the birds in that aviary to reduce interference.
Fingers crossed.

Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
collector_and_buyer

Getting a trio of Madagascar Weavers,so will give them a crack.Bred 6 Napoleons last season so hopefully they will go again and will try to find some new blood to add to some of those young Napoleons,to make up a couple more pairs.If this rain ever stops,will get my aviary done for my Whydahs.They will be ready to go this season,fingers crossed.
Jonleelf

elferoz777 wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 09:01
Jonleelf wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 22:46 My 2021/22 project will be mainly Gouldian. This year managed to breed some Cinnamon, Cinnamon with Blues, Cinnamon with Limes and Cinnamon with AVB. Also bred some Lime with Blues (2nd generation). My 2021/22 project will expand on these. Keen to learn from the members as I produced quite a few splits from these combinations and what should be my next step. Happy to share the outcomes of the off springs when they coloured up.
sounds interesting.

I'm curious as to how the young chicks look I.e skin colour and nodules
All the splits look the same, skin colour wise. Will pay more attention to the nodules colour to see if they show any different. Keen to learn from anyone in the forum their findings and experience. Thanks.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”