Star Finch & Jasmine Shrub

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
N017

I have a mixed aviary with Grass finches, Gouldians, Red faced parrots, Cherries and Star finches. In the under roof area I have their nests, while in the open area I have among others, a Jasmine shrub. The Star finches are not interested in the nests that I have provided. Instead they are trying to build a nest in the shrub, without any success. Should I try to help them with the construction part, maybe a type of woven nest, or should I remove the Jasmine?
arthur

The last thing you should do with Stars is to interfere with their nesting site . .

Perhaps, if they are having trouble making nesting material 'stick' you might tie some brush to the Jasmine at their chosen site, but Stars don't like human interference . . or . .

You could try filling wide mesh containers with Jasmine branches and placing them in the shelter
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I assume you have supplied them with a wide range of grasses in different lengths to make their nests from? If not then increase the mix of grasses and vary the lengths. This could make it easier for them too.
LML
collector_and_buyer

The problem is that Jasmine is more vine like and lacks the branches to hold a nest secure.You could try putting some tea tree in a bunch where the jasmine is.This will have branches and better nesting sites for them.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”