Painted egg foster

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Jebtech95

Hey guys just a weird question i am going to purchase a pair of painted off someone but they are currently on eggs i was thinking of transferring the eggs into the painted nest i have at home. I also have painted sitting on eggs but was concerned i might not tell the difference as they are different bloodlines and both pairs have been sitting for around the same time. My question is …. Would it be a good idea to slip the eggs in with some zebras that are also nesting? ?
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've seen emblemas raise zebras, but never the other way around. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If the Painteds are all the same colour, you are correct that there would be no way of telling which chicks were which. So you need to decide if you are willing to put them all in together and sell them as parentage uncertain. Or try them under the Zebs without knowing if they will raise them. Or put them under the Zebs and mark with food dye and move to the other painteds nest on hatching. However food dye will help you, but may put the birds off.
Just a few options to consider.
LML
Craig52

Most finches will except extra eggs but they have to be laid and incubated at the same time as the doner eggs. If they are days behind or ahead you will end up with larger young squashing the smaller young and competing for food.
Jebtech95

What about parsons though my parsons have just started to hatch im planning on moving the parsons they are very nosy and interupt every nest in the aviary maybe they need some karma 😂
Jebtech95

Craig52 wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 20:26 Most finches will except extra eggs but they have to be laid and incubated at the same time as the doner eggs. If they are days behind or ahead you will end up with larger young squashing the smaller young and competing for food.
Thought so craig its really a fine line aye
Craig52

Yes it is mate but give it a go you have nothing really to lose.

Bengo's will take eggs at anytime if you or you know someone who could help. Cheers
Jebtech95

Craig52 wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 20:29 Yes it is mate but give it a go you have nothing really to lose.
Might give the zebras a go cheers mate
Jebtech95

Craig52 wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 20:29 Yes it is mate but give it a go you have nothing really to lose.

Bengo's will take eggs at anytime if you or you know someone who could help. Cheers
Bengalese manniken?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes - My Bengos have frequently helped to feed fledgelings in the same avairy as them. And have raised abandonded eggs too, though not someting that has happened more than once in 5 yrs.
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”