zebras not building nest?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
novastorm

Hi guys,

New to birds and new to the forum.

Got myself a pair of white zebra finches. Breeder told me they were between 6-8 months old.

They're currently housed in a 30" wide x 18" H x 18" D cage. It has a small wooden breeding box and also bought a small wicker basket thing.

The breeder gave me some chicken feathers and some small heshen squares which i have individually pulled the strings apart. I also found some fresh swamp grass in my backyard. I've placed these 3 things into a small container at the bottom of the cage in hopes that the finches will pick them up and build their nest in either of the houses. But they aren't even interested in building their nests let alone going INTO the houses.

Is there anything I can do to encourage them to build their nest? I'm really looking forward to breed them. Or is there some sure fail-safe method to entice them to build their nest? Or are they just not mature enough? If so, at what age would they start?

Thanks in advance, help is much appreciated.

Cheers
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi & welcome to the forum.
sounds like your birds havent been together in the cage for very long. give them a couple of weeks to get settled and things should start to happen
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
framed

Welcome to the forum.
It takes birds a while to aclimatise to a new home, how long have you had them for?

Framed.
Enjoy every sandwich
Page0044

Hey Nova welcome to AAF and the zebs are a nice finch, they might be still trying to work out what to do but give them time they certainly will breed for you, sounds like your doing things right, where do you have the cage if its near a lot of people traffic this might not be helping. I think you just have to give them some time and good food and fresh water. Have a look on the diets on the fourm as there is soom good info
Cheers
Greg
gomer

gday nova,looks like you have already got the advise you need.keep us updated on how they are going.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Steven

Hey nova, Welcome to AFF

Like all other members said give them a few weeks to settled down and they will breed for you. My first pair of zebras it took them about a few months to settled down and start breeding.

Keep us updated on how they go.
novastorm

Thanks for the welcome guys. I feel right at home already! :)

I've had them for less than 2 weeks.

They are in the living room, where human traffic is frequent. I felt that if they were here, more interaction with them seeing people will make them less skittish.

Should I move the cage? or leave it where it is?

The cage is sorta next to the window, but not directly in front of it. It doesn't really get much sunlight. Is this ok?

Mum says she wants the cage in a big cardboard box, so seeds and droppings don't go flying everywhere outside the cage and she has to go clean it all up everyday.

The breeder I bought them off had these white zebs in a small aviary with about another 100 or so zebs. Do you think that these two will get along fine?

Guess I'll just have to play the waiting game for a few more weeks. Generally how long would this wait be?

Cheers and thanks for the replies! :)
Page0044

Hey Nova, they will do fine and will need some time to settle before they will breed, this you can't put a time frame on as they well breed when the time is right for them. I would move them away from people traffic if you want them to breed. Glad you have settled into the fourm, there are a lot of people on that have been breeding birds for a long time and are only to willing to help with any questions that you may have.
Cheers
Greg
novastorm

Thanks Greg. I shall see whether else I could move them to, but I doubt there are any other places with are non carpeted with less human traffic.

thanks. :)
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

one thing for you to be aware of when breeding zebras. once they start they dont like to stop. a good description of them would be a feathered rabbit. great birds though. good luck with them and I hope you become a complete addict like the rest of us are :D
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”