leg rings

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this is something I've never bothered about before, have always just chosen a colour for each year.
is there actually a recommended colour for each year, perhaps specified by one of the finch associations.
I know in the USA & Canada they have a set colour for each year.
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
gomer

No idea Mick,But thats a good question.Be very interesting if there is one.Maybe if there isnt.We could start our own on this forum. :idea:
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
E Orix

I am pretty sure the Zebra and Budgie showers have a colour year ID as well as numbers.
For quite some time now I have used a plastic two coloured split ring for each season(start july thru to the end of June the following year)each young bred in that period has the same coloured ring on.Single colours can be used for the other leg.Once the year is up that colour is not used for many years.It is so easy to ID the birds without the need to catch them up and read numbered rings
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hmmmm interestingly organised ....my leg rings are chosen to colour coordinate with the bird :roll: ie like a fashion thing :roll:
And when I sell young birds and the buyer wants them rung I let them pick the colour .
Spose a colour for each year would be a damn good idea .... Ill get it right one day :(
yellowfiretails2.jpg
Gotta admit he does look very dapper in his colour coordinated leg ring :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
w9cae

I am so anti banding a birds leg. Is there really a need ? How would you feel if you were banded at birth ?
Leigh

I need a band to tell apart split to white breast from normals, i just figure if they always have it they never no what its like not to have one. Saying that they all have one so no one feels left out.... unless they dont like there colour.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I need bands to distinguish young birds from breeding stock - it's damn annoying selling your best breeder because you can't tell it apart from it's son!
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Diane

jusdeb wrote:hmmmm interestingly organised ....my leg rings are chosen to colour coordinate with the bird :roll:
I love it :lol: :lol:
Having said that I have a pair of orange breasted waxbills that have the same fetching coloured ring as Debs emblema :roll:

I have been using Michael Marcotrigiano's system for my birds. With the use of only 2 coloured split rings you can have up to 180 birds and be able to tell them apart. Its been working really well for me. You can check out his system by going to his site at "exotic finches.com"
(not putting any links in as he has a "warning all rights reserved" thing on his site) but its easy enough to find it. I actually emailed him with a question about what happens after the 180 is reached over a period of time and he responded really quickly with his solution.

I band so that I dont pair a parent to a fledgling or clutch mates together.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Budgie breeders Australia wide have to have their birds rung with closed metal rings to be able to enter the state and national shows, these are colour coded per year. I think it is a 5 year rotation, but it could be 7yrs. In their case you can get your own stud prefix e.g. all my rings could begin with LML then a number sequence 001 - 100 if that is your anticipated need and then the year code 10 for this year. This way a birds breeder can be identified as well as the year of breeding. If it has just. W.A. or S.A. it is not a stud prefix but a state prefix. To make it easier for you, you can request that in your first year you get number sequence 001 - 050 in your 2nd year 051 - 126 etc. It is actually a very good system.
Yes banding can cause problems, the birds can catch their rings on twigs or wires and loose a leg or worse, their life. Breeder be aware and reduce hazzards.
I band only when I want to be able to easily pick out one bird I have bought from another, or identify the chicks from one pairing or another, to avoid inbreeding, or facilitate a cross breeding I have been working on in order to achieve a particular colour/marking combination that is not easily achieved.
LML
LML
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was not into banding birds until I couldnt tell the offspring from the parent birds . Im more against inbreeding than leg banding .
The new soft plastic rings are roomy and easy to apply .
Its all personal choice I guess.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”