leg rings

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Diane

Is anyone with Chapman split metal leg bands able to take a close up pic for me please?
Was talking to Chapmans on the phone and he was trying to explain but I think seeing one would be best.

Im going to see of I can get 10 colours in the split coloured metal so I can continue the colour coded leg band system Im using. Ive tried the plastic but even cutting them in half I think it will get too clunky when triple figures are used as that would require 2 bands on one leg.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
gomer

Seen a new type of aluminum rings the other week,imported from the U.K.I have never seen them in a finch ring before.They are already in the open position and are ready to be closed already with closing pliers.I am considering trialing some,The only thing that I see at the moment against them is the price,$80 per hundred.I will try to get some close up shots this weekend of them, and take it from there.Maybe a trial few aswell.Cant get any atm of my chapmans.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
E Orix

Gomer
I purchased some a couple of weeks ago at the Shepparton bird sale.
Not sure of the cost but the little pliers were $12
I use metal numbered rings on my weavers as they will eventually peel off a plastic ring.
Then some have actually squashed the metal rings tightly onto their legs.
These rings in the pliers are a dream to put on,I wish I had purchased more.
The best thing apart from ease of fitting is the pliers close the ring perfectly round which makes it far harder
to squash out of shape
If you come across the supplier let me know as I have no idea where the person I got my 1st lot from can be located.
gomer

Was it a english gent ? Allan Tully ? I have his phone number here if it is him.He currently only has 1000 of them 500 are engraved for a client and the other 500 are already engraved but for sale,they would have AT on them.These are the first 1000 he has ordered in from the U.K They are alot more solid then chapmans.If you got them from him you would have to wait a few months to get a personal lot done, as the order has to come from the U.K. He will also be at Mornington this weekend.

I got the pliers only from him about a month ago they are alright on the chapmans. I could see them working well on his rings though but am yet to try them.
E Orix

It sounds like him
It doesn't matter at this stage what else is on them as long as they are numbered.
Unfortunately i will not be going to Mornington as I will be at the Hunter Sale
I have to go up there to pick up some birds.
Will you PM his number please,I only want a few but will order some with my initials on them for next season.
brouwers42

Mickp wrote:Have had replies to the emails I sent out, here they are

From Bruce Whiting
In regards to the closed ringing of birds, yes this does happen. As David mentioned the Societies/Clubs that promote the exhibiting of birds certainly issue closed ring. The codes used on these rings is registered with the Canary & Cage Bird Federation of Australia. Also a number of the Parrot fancy folk use closed ring but their codes are not normally registered with C&CBFoA. Often it is simply their initials. There are several sizes available – 00 to 06.
There is a colour rotation over a 6 year period. This year (2010) the colour is blue, before this year the colours were – red, black, green, gold, purple (not too sure of the order, but colours are correct).
You can obtain closed rings through one of the Societies/Clubs that promote exhibiting (provided you want to exhibit) or you can go direct to Chapman Rings and order your own, which technically, birds rung with these rings you would not be able to exhibit in Young Bird classes as code would not be registered with C&CBFoA.

From Marcus Pollard
never heard of any such colour/years being used.....some get personalised rings but we just use regular plastic rings from Chapmans.

This one is from David Myers at Save the Gouldian
People who show their birds often band young ones with different coloured rings to denote the year that they were bred etc. I don't have a clue about the current colours & how they rotate them.
Maybe one of my mates can help you out with the information that you are after - I'm also forwarding this email to them. Hopefully they can help you out!

Waiting on a response from Chapman Rings.

I have a rotating ring colur for each year too. When i checked my colours they were exactly the same. Six colours, only i have substituted the gold for yellow.
monotwine

http://www.achughes.com/Thumbnails.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very curious to see this ring. Does it look like any of AC Hughes' stock?
Monique
gomer

From memory they are either the same or much the same.I thought they might have been rounder around the edges though ? the closing pliers look the same aswell.Would be interesting to see a price list of the ones you have ? What are your thought on the ones you are using mono ?
monotwine

Gomer here is their home page. You will find all the info you need to surf their site, products, costs and ordering from this point onwards. There are two pricing structures. One for UK residents with tax and one for exports excl. so just click on the right one.
http://www.achughes.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I only use coloured split plastic rings at present - usually only one per bird. I use them to identify the birds sex and differentiate individuals i.e. similar looking birds/species get different colours. I get to know my birds by there ring colours, "there goes red in the nest and his partner is green" :lol: . Young get a family colour (these I would like to start numbering to keep me sane) or in the case of individual pairs go unrung until I decide to keep any. I keep a log and breeding log of all my birds to reference back to. I can afford to do this as I don't have many. My system though would only work if you have time and a small number of birds.

I would like to start close banding my youngsters. Its not a necessity here at all, but I would like to be able to sell birds with their ages dated on the ring, so down the line buyers will always know what they are getting and the info on there is fairly unique and does away with needing lots of different rings.
The metal bands are fairly cost effective. Its actually the numbered split plastic rings that tally up once you get all the different colours.
Monique
Finch_Breeder

Are these good quality? If not does anyone know of any others in Adelaide?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200-Finch-Ca ... 2572021919
Cheers, Mike :thumbup:
Birds I own/have owned: Budgerigars, **Zebra Finches**, **Star Finches**, Canaries, Diamond doves... Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested 'too
-Mike-

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”