leg rings

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Finch_Breeder

Also does any one know where I can get smaller ones for OB's and smaller finches.
Thanks
Birds I own/have owned: Budgerigars, **Zebra Finches**, **Star Finches**, Canaries, Diamond doves... Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested 'too
-Mike-
SamDavis

Finch_Breeder wrote:Are these good quality? If not does anyone know of any others in Adelaide?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200-Finch-Ca ... 2572021919
Cheers, Mike :thumbup:
I bought some eBay ones that look just like them. In my opinion they're complete rubbish and only suitable as temporary rings. Also they're too big for most finches - just ok size for diamonds. The plastic is very thick too. There was an earlier discussion about them on AFF where someone discovered they were actually beads of some sort.
Finch_Breeder wrote:Also does any one know where I can get smaller ones for OB's and smaller finches.
Thanks
I'd been using the small aluminium ones with the tabs that you can close with your fingers but I forget where I got them (might have been Bird R Us?) and have nearly run out. I recently got some very small plastic split ones from Allan Tully which look promising but I'm yet to use them.
Finch_Breeder

Thanks SD
Mike :thumbup:
Birds I own/have owned: Budgerigars, **Zebra Finches**, **Star Finches**, Canaries, Diamond doves... Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested 'too
-Mike-
E Orix

If you are going to put a ring on a Finch or any bird for that matter PLEASE only use good quality rings,don't buy on price.
For years and years the leader in ring manufacture was and still is Hughes from the UK.
They are thin walled but strong and will stay on for the whole of the birds life generally.
I get all my rings from Allan Tully 0393386082 who imports direct from Hughes
Those little tiny metal winged type rings used on Orange Breasted Waxbills and Ruddies are hard to locate the last lot I got from Jim Price who lives in Cessnock. He may still sell them.
If you want more info send me a pm
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Serious budgie breeders usually have aluminium cutters, so if the leg or foot gets injured and swells, they can get the ring off before it cuts off blood circulation and kills the foot/leg.
LML
LML
gomer

For those who use year colours green is 2013.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
BOF33

have a look at "exotic finches .com" a quick look at his site will lead you to his explanation of the leg banding system.
I have been using this system for a year now and find its really simple. Each colour represents a number
e.g. blue is 1, yellow is 2
Don't know if this website is still in use? Not working on my computer anyway. I like this idea so any other links to information regarding this form of banding would be appreciated? :thumbup:
Diane

The July 2010 issue of the newsletter describes the method of banding and record keeping mentioned on exotic finches.com
viewtopic.php?f=184&t=6382
Also link to free record keeping site
http://www.finchbreederdatabase.com/phpBB3/
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
KENTUCKY

I ring me birds with a coloured plastic rings for flock ID, the cocks are rung on the right leg, the hens are rung on the left leg, the other leg will be rung with a numbered aluminum ring, both rings are recorded for future reference.
when ringing birds, try to do it late in the afternoon, birds will sleep on it and the next day will have forgotten about these extras on their legs, while ringing earlier in the day
will want to make them pull off the rings, it can exhaust them.
for those who breed difficult to sex birds it is especially beneficial to ring the birds according to sex as soon a they reveal what they are.
another option would be to pull down their pant for an positive ID, good luck with this method.
LOL. Kentucky
thewaxbill

A.C.Hughes in the U.K are regarded as the worlds leading ring manufacterer, they use a 6 year rotation on ring colours which follow the C.O.M sequence, 2011 was blue, 2012 was red and 2013 is black, the sequence runs for 6 years so for example in 2017 the colour will be blue again. The rings also have the year stamped on them, on my own rings for example it will have the year my code number e.g W.F.S S64 and the individual ring number. C.O.M is the Confederation Ornitholoque Mondiale who are the worlds largest organization for aviculture and run the world show. They also do split metal rings as well as closed rings and of course split plastic rings which can be numbered as well.
Regards Bob
http://www.waxbillfinchsociety.org.uk
Keeping the faith in Yorkshire

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”