leg rings

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
BOF33

The July 2010 issue of the newsletter describes the method of banding and record keeping mentioned on exotic finches.com
viewtopic.php?f=184&t=6382
Also link to free record keeping site
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3765&p=20176&hilit=+Marcotrigiano#p20176
Thanks for directing me to the right place Di..
BlackCobra

There is lots of reasons for ringing birds, the main one for me is to tell the parents from the young, I have seen a few setups were people don't ring any, then when it comes to selling time they sell what ever they catch & could break up lots of breeding pairs.
Also I often run more than one pair of the same finches so I like to see who is paired together, that way if a pair is no good for any reason I can remove that pair, also I can keep an eye on there age & cull once they get a bit older.
I have had a couple problems with rings, I found one bird hanging upside down with a stick sticking up through the ring, damned if I know how its possible to get a stick through a ring.
I also used trees with monkey vine in it, but one day I found a finch caught with a broken leg, some how there was a gap in the ring big enough for the vine to get through, needless to say I stopped using the Vine & made sure no gaps in rings since.
To me rings are essential, so I will always use them.
Finchman1

Can anyone tell me what the 2013 leg ring colour in Aus is?
gomer

Green.

2005 - Purple (7 years old now)
2006 - Gold
2007 - Green
2008 - Black
2009 - Red
2010 - Blue
2011 - Purple
2012 - Gold
2013 - Green
2014 - Black
2015 - Red
2016 - Blue
2017 - Purple
2018 - Gold
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Finchman1

Cheers Gomer.
daniela

very interesting, when i bought my gouldians from a breeder, only one of the males had a red leg ring. i was pretty curious about that :crazy:
8 happy gouldians and two king quails

daniela
natamambo

Daniela I will only ring young birds that I expect to be keeping as adults birds unless I need to individually identify the young eg for parentage tracking or if DNA sexing. That would be so for many breeders, especially in a colony situation where you can't be sure of parentage anyway.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I ring each hatching with the same ring to make sure buyers know that they are not getting siblings, or that they are if they are wanting a particular type to put into their line but not together.
LML
LML
gomer

daniela wrote:very interesting, when i bought my gouldians from a breeder, only one of the males had a red leg ring. i was pretty curious about that :crazy:
daniela the red ring on the bird you bought may not mean its a 2009 bird.Only if the breeder uses the same system. The breeder may use ramdom colours each year,another system or no particular system at all. The age of the bird is a question you ask when you purchase it.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Niki_K

gomer wrote:
daniela wrote:very interesting, when i bought my gouldians from a breeder, only one of the males had a red leg ring. i was pretty curious about that :crazy:
daniela the red ring on the bird you bought may not mean its a 2009 bird.Only if the breeder uses the same system. The breeder may use ramdom colours each year,another system or no particular system at all. The age of the bird is a question you ask when you purchase it.

Agreed. I use my own system, depeding on what colours (and what quantities) I have available, and I'm sure a lot of others would as well. I band mine with certain colours so I know which breeders I got them from, then band the young according to parental colours. If I don't know who the parents are, I band them by assigning a colour to a certain nestbox, then by year.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”