leg rings

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
thewaxbill

Why don't you have rings with the year stamped on them, assigning a colour to a year means nothing it does not prove its bred in a particular year. We follow a 6 year colour rota in the U.K but they are stamped with the year. This year our rings are black but on my rings it will say 13 for the year then my breeder code number plus individual ring number.
Regards Bob
http://www.waxbillfinchsociety.org.uk
Keeping the faith in Yorkshire
casehulsebosch

Things are a little different in the land of Oz Bob; same as in New Zealand for that matter.

For starters there are not the numbers of bird keepers/breeders;
Because of import restrictions and the fact that no new species enter the country, Cites is something a lot of bird keepers here have never heard off let alone closed ringing for cites species.

Ringing is often done by breeders as a matter of identifying individual birds. When it comes to selling birds it is mainly based on trust.

Cheers, Case, Tauranga, New Zealand.
E Orix

Bob
To get Aust. breeders to follow the UK system of close ringing would be virtually impossible.
Many factors come into play,basically the way most breed their birds makes access difficult also.
In an aviary covering around 600m you have no chance of knowing where every nest was located.
I included have difficulty in getting my head around inspecting a nest of chicks let alone pulling them out to ring them.
Years ago when breeding Budgies was a different matter as I had access to the chicks in nest boxes and they are a totally domesticated.
I guess those that breed Gouldians in breeding cages would be able to do it but many don't breed them that way(small cages).
Personally,I use a two colour split plastic ring each year so I can visually see how old the bird is,the other leg may have an identity one on it.
My rarer birds are rung with a metal split ring which is put on with ring pliers,using the pliers makes a perfect join so tampering can be easily seen.
These rings are numbered and have my initials on them.
The late Ray Murray used this system and once was able to recognise a Whydah that turned up that he had bred 15 years earlier.
Some 30+ years ago there was a Govt. push for close ringing but that was quickly dismissed for obvious reasons.
Netsurfer

thewaxbill wrote:Why don't you have rings with the year stamped on them, assigning a colour to a year means nothing it does not prove its bred in a particular year. We follow a 6 year colour rota in the U.K but they are stamped with the year. This year our rings are black but on my rings it will say 13 for the year then my breeder code number plus individual ring number.
Regards Bob
That's exactly what I do with most of my cup nesters and some others that can be rung. I order every year closed rings with year, number and the initials, birds that are known to abandon nest with any interference I simply don't touch, like the 3 species of Parrot Finches. Although in my aviaries most tolerate nest inspection I don't see the need to even try to band some of those birds. As for the Gouldians unless they are pure wild type of birds why even bother?
thewaxbill

Netsurfer wrote:
thewaxbill wrote:Why don't you have rings with the year stamped on them, assigning a colour to a year means nothing it does not prove its bred in a particular year. We follow a 6 year colour rota in the U.K but they are stamped with the year. This year our rings are black but on my rings it will say 13 for the year then my breeder code number plus individual ring number.
Regards Bob
That's exactly what I do with most of my cup nesters and some others that can be rung. I order every year closed rings with year, number and the initials, birds that are known to abandon nest with any interference I simply don't touch, like the 3 species of Parrot Finches. Although in my aviaries most tolerate nest inspection I don't see the need to even try to band some of those birds. As for the Gouldians unless they are pure wild type of birds why even bother?
I close ring the majority of my birds through choice, some i can't because of access to the nest or for fear of desertion but i know my own birds and i know which are likely to do this and vice versa. I ring them for several reasons but the main one is proof of age, when we sell our birds although possibly to private breeders it is a fact that many birds will change hands on more than one occasion often ending up with a dealer, if the birds are close rung it stops the devious people from claiming the birds they are selling are young birds when in fact they could be 5/6 years old, Like i said i ring them through choice and i am totally against the idea of compulsory close ringing.Birds i do not manage to close ring i ring with a split metal ring which is closed with ring pliers.
Regards Bob
http://www.waxbillfinchsociety.org.uk
Keeping the faith in Yorkshire
Finchnoob

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but how does someone get hold of leg rings? Sounds like a great way to keep track of clutches, but I've never seen these in the local pet shops ? Sorry if it sounds silly, still very new to all this
arthur

Put "leg rings" into search

New members will be amazed at the depth of info' already available in the 'archives'

Check it out . .

Saves a lot of repetition
Finch Whisperer

Any of the bird clubs or bird sale expo's will have them a lot cheaper than a pet store
DonnaJ

I band my canaries and there is a colour for each year for them, I follow those colour guidelines for my finches. I use split plastic bands that are numbered and band them around 10 days old, just as their flight feathers are coming through so then their legs are big enough to not loose the band. With the numbers I can them identify what parents they came from. With the split band if they need to be removed it can be done very easily. When i got my gouldian pair I banded them also so I can identify them from their off spring. I have not banded my emblemas which I wish I did, but may band the offspring, problem solved. I purchase my bands from bird bands.com they are an australian company and send out order very quickly once they receive it. I have ordered from them the last 3 years and can highly reccomend them. If you have any questions about size to order you can e-mail them and they are very helpful,
I hope this may help you
mickenglish

Where does one obtain leg rings? I have had some unexpected hatchings so I had best get organised.
Cheers
Mick

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”