Mixed Aivery

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Leigh

Will it be a problem if i put a pair of zebras in the same aivery as a pair of Gouldians?? Will they get along or fight?

Thanks
GregH

Generally there is no problem between these species but that can come down to the individual temperament of the birds involved, the size of the cage and the density with which it's stocked. I’ve found Gouldians to be lazy nest builders and may lay in other birds nests and Zebras are "sticky beaks" who may disturb Gouldians if they are light sitters (mine aern’t). I keep and breed them together out of necessity but if I were a serious Gouldian breeder I wouldn't do it purely because I'd want to maximize the Gould's breeding potential. A quick look at the price differential might help make up your mind but if you have low numbers of birds in a large area there shouldn't be any problem. I've seen both species drinking at the pond in Whyndam in Western Australia so in the wild they have no trouble cohabitating.
framed

I have both of them in the same aviary and wish I hadnt, I now have an aviary full of zebras and them and the gouldians fighting for nests.
I will be getting rid of all my zebras.

Framed.
Enjoy every sandwich
Page0044

I wouldn't think it to be a problem if there are plenty of nests
Cheers
Greg
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Personally I would not house them together.
used to have zebras myself but once I started to get a few different species of finch I found the zebras to be to pushy/aggressive.
while they were all in the aviary the zebra numbers increased but the other finches would hardly breed at all. once I got rid of the zebs, the other birds started to breed.
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
pauli

Hi, I have a mixed smallish collection and I have both zebs & gouldians mixed together. I always move on any new young zebs so as to not over crowd the aviary. I do only have no more than 2 pairs of zebs in my cage & I find my gouldians do breed o.k. Just monitor the temperment of your zeb pair & if to agressive move them on. All the best..Pauline
Misso

Hi Leigh,

I personaly would'nt house them together, iv herd 2 many storys about zebs taking over a cage or avairy and being little pests to the other aviary inhabitants.

It also depends on how big your aviary or cage is, if its a huge aviary u could have a pair or 2, see how they go, and if they are to disruptive then move them.

good luck
Jarryd :)
Leigh

Thanks guys, i have a aviary that's 6foot x 3foot x 7foot high and there is only a pair of Goulds in there at the moment. The two goulds i have dont seem to be pairing up so i was gonna move a pair of zebs in there with them. Might give it a go and see what happens.
Thanks again
gomer

Leigh your goulds should be pairing up by now.Its up to you,if you want to try it supply plenty of nest sites,And keep an eye on the zebs that they dont get to pushy.It want help your goulds breed thats for sure.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”