Keeping birds warm in the winter months

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Ab's Finches

Were can i buy some of that thicker plastic stuff for my aviary i would need 3 pieces cut to size...i was thinking Bunnings but not sure. Any suggestions? i live in Melbourne
Diane

Bunnings would be the place, I know they sell the plastic roofing sheets and some of the members on here have posted pics using metal channel guides and this type of plastic. I think from memory someone also said they got the perspex sheeting from Bunnings too. Im sure if they dont have any they could point you in the right direction.

EDITED
Found a topic that might help
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3795&p=20492&hilit=+capping#p20492
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep bunnings for clear alsynite or sun tuff , they also have thick and I do mean thick perspex sold by the metre ...I am deciding which to use myself this winter.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Julia

matcho wrote: 05 Feb 2011, 11:22 What I have found to work well for me is the use of removable polycarbonate clear screens which sheilds from draughts and general bad weather. It also keeps the avairy warm on those cold winter days when the sun is shining but temp is low. The price is fairly hexy so when I built my new avairy I had eight clear panels of perspex cut to size which can enclose the avairy completely if need be in the middle of winter. Cost was half the price of the poly. At present they are all off and can be quickly attached in the event of bad weather. My roof consists of corrugated poly with shade cloth in the open flight and the breeding area is the same but with cement sheeting under the poly. Works good in the cooler months. Hope this helps.
I too have used perspex... I drilled a line of holes across the centre of some panels, the drill holes are size if a 5 cent coin. Do u think this is a bad idea and do u suggest I cover the holes? I was thinking that they are similar to air holes. Excuse my ignorance as I'm new to the finch and bird owning scene.
matcho

Julia wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 03:20
matcho wrote: 05 Feb 2011, 11:22 What I have found to work well for me is the use of removable polycarbonate clear screens which sheilds from draughts and general bad weather. It also keeps the avairy warm on those cold winter days when the sun is shining but temp is low. The price is fairly hexy so when I built my new avairy I had eight clear panels of perspex cut to size which can enclose the avairy completely if need be in the middle of winter. Cost was half the price of the poly. At present they are all off and can be quickly attached in the event of bad weather. My roof consists of corrugated poly with shade cloth in the open flight and the breeding area is the same but with cement sheeting under the poly. Works good in the cooler months. Hope this helps.
I too have used perspex... I drilled a line of holes across the centre of some panels, the drill holes are size if a 5 cent coin. Do u think this is a bad idea and do u suggest I cover the holes? I was thinking that they are similar to air holes. Excuse my ignorance as I'm new to the finch and bird owning scene.
Julia,
I cant see that being a problem as long as the panels with the holes does not face into the wind causing drafts during the colder weather, this in particular is not good if you keep gouldians as they hate drafts not having down under their feathers. My rule of thumb is if the temperature is in the low teens the panels go up and stay up until it gets to about 16 or so but having said that this morning it was only 12 or so here but the birds didn't seem worried at all. Mainly used for the winter when it stays chilly all day.

Good luck.

Ken.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Its a little cool on the west coast at 20 degrees at 8AM - Has been hot and humid for weeks. Great Gouldian weather. Mum already has eggs in 3 nests. But now she has the new blue blood - thanks Wayne - we are going to be combining our bloodlines to produce more. Welcome to the forum Julia. What finchs are you keeping?
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”