Keeping birds warm in the winter months

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Ab's Finches

Gday all,

I live in Melbourne and in the past i have lost birds in the cold/frosty winter nights so i would like to know the best way to Keep my finches warm in the winter months coming up.
I previously used an old sheet to cover the aviary but it's not too effective against the cold!

Thanks AB
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Marine ply goes on top of the aviaries to create a second roof and to keep the frost from having direct contact with the roofing , plastic sheeting on wire walls to keep draughts of the birds .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think most forum members will agree when I say that it is not the cold that does the damage it is more the wind drafts getting into the aviary.
The birds need a sheltered area where they can get away from any drafts
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
Ab's Finches

ok thanks folks i'll do some measurements and head down to Bunnings before winter and see if i can get some of that stuff cheers.
monotwine

If after preventing drafts etc you still feel some of your birds are sensitive to cold, then can you rig up an electric feed to add a low watt light bulb?

The bulb can be placed low to the ground if you have a dry sand base which it will warm too. It will also double up as a night light.
If you place the bulb inside a clay/terracotta pot then the birds can safely warm themselves on top of the pot or below it without getting into the electrics / direct heat from the bulb. Just make sure you use ceramic fittings as the plastic types can melt. (and from my own experience if you have larger birds, make sure the bulb cannot move enough to hit the clay pot sides, when the birds land on the pot, as they fuse / shatter once hot)

I use such a set up for the coldest of our winter days (mostly because my cold comes with damp rain and the birds insist in bathing just before bed time!) I have mine on a timer so the light does not stay on all night. It comes on at sunset and pre dawn (when temperatures peak), but also sometime around midnight.
Birds seem to warm and dry themselves before seeking a roosting spot for the night. Not many other than my Parrot finches will actually roost near the light/heat.
Monique
Diane

I use a canvas blind, I find its useful in most circumstances. During the wet, wild and windy weather its good protection, also at night it stops a lot of night frights. In the hot weather I flip it up and over the roof of the aviary in the morning of a hot day and later when the sun moves to the front flip it back to the front and prop it up so they get shade but can also catch any breezes. I also hose it down on hot days and its surprising how much difference that can make.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yep a sheltered area at the back of the aviary is a very good idea. Also pull down blinds made of clear plastic that allow the birds to see out yet still keep out the draughts work well.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
matcho

What I have found to work well for me is the use of removable polycarbonate clear screens which sheilds from draughts and general bad weather. It also keeps the avairy warm on those cold winter days when the sun is shining but temp is low. The price is fairly hexy so when I built my new avairy I had eight clear panels of perspex cut to size which can enclose the avairy completely if need be in the middle of winter. Cost was half the price of the poly. At present they are all off and can be quickly attached in the event of bad weather. My roof consists of corrugated poly with shade cloth in the open flight and the breeding area is the same but with cement sheeting under the poly. Works good in the cooler months. Hope this helps.
Nick Nolan

It could be worse folks,this is what we had to deal with 2 weeks ago.
This is why i cant keep your beautiful finches,as much as i would love to. :thumbdown:
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

brrrrrrr ...tad chilly by the looks.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”