Defences against miner birds

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Stavros99

The only solution for Mynah and other bird attacks on an outdoor cage or Aivery is a second layer, this is my second attempt at a mini balcony Aivery and I
54CB103E-91C4-46FD-ACDF-D9B8AF38B667.jpeg
learned from loosing a few Gouldian’s before, sooner or later they will catch a bird through the wires and kill it or break a leg leading to its death later. They get attacked by up to 5 co-ordinated Mynah birds and separately one big blackbird multiple times every day, Owels by night constantly smacking into the cage. Kookaburras and their long beaks try catch them, even bush turkeys tried getting at them. I made this cage buy buying 6 large cages at $100 each, joining four and using the other two and some poly sheets to create a second layer top, side and front usng bolts to create a good 1.5 inch space between layers, this has guranteed their safety through all these attack’s.

I also use mini Carboner clips on all doors as a rat once figured out how to open the doors, he eat all 4 before I worked out what was happening. I have a security cam and have seen the rat trying to get in multiple nights with no success.

Mynah’s are so determined and seem insanely jealous of Gouldians, I doubt anything will scare them other then chasing them off so I did not bother with buying fake owls or anything like that.
I used bird spikes in the past but they don’t work for long.

It’s a dangerous and exciting life for my birds, but now they are well protected, good exercise too being chased around all day. One gouldian chick did fly into the bars during an attack and got his head stuck in the bars and died, hopefully that was a once off.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stavros99 on 23 Jan 2019, 13:03, edited 2 times in total.
arthur

Maybe it's a "5 post" thing
Craig52

arthur wrote:Maybe it's a "5 post" thing
No Arthur, we have changed that ridiculous 5 post thing to "one" post now due to the frustration of new members and moderators.

It should not effect the uploading of pics though, please try again Stavros. Pic max size is now 800 x 600. Craig
Stavros99

I finally worked out how to downsize a photo of my Mynah proof aviery, image in the 3rd post above.

I have 4 pairs gouldian normals, 1 pair cordons and 2 pairs of orange breasts

I also put 3 x security cameras inside, kinda expensive at $100 each but great for seeing what’s going through my phone when raising young or how they behave when mynahs attack to ensure the design is protecting them.

I also heat the small black cage, it’s insulated with the wife’s old yoga Matt, two 25w downlight’s inside some downpipe filled with stones, temp set with a thermostat.

I know these days people don’t heat gouldians, especially in Sydney but it’s the little cordons and orange breasts that love sleeping there in winter. Gouldians sleep out then go into the heat early in the morning as I don’t have sunrise hitting my balcony.

Here are a few shots from the cameras inside.
A4CB90F2-916F-4D01-BA1E-928B3B273B72.jpeg
72705788-571D-4DFF-9345-AC1FFE3A3517.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stavros99 on 27 Jan 2019, 10:02, edited 2 times in total.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

3AM to 6AM in winter is the hardest part for finches I think. When the chill comes in and before the sun rises. So just a little warmth then in one corner of the avairy/cage is not bad. It's keeping them in a fully heated aivary where they never experience "normal" weather and are treated like "hot house flowers" which also wilt when taken out, that is the problem. I don;t use any heat at all myself and have no insulation either. Just lots of shade cover and carefully positioned perches and nests. Oops wandering off topic.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”