Defences against miner birds

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Clawd

My newly occupied aviary is being harrassed by miners.

After a recent attack (1 hour ago) I found my Gouldian hen (who has only been in their 6 hours) sitting on the floor 30 cm from the side. I eyeballed her, she eyeballed me. Otherwise, she looks great. I couldn't find the cock bird until I checked the bottom corner where the channels holding the sheet metal met. He was stuck in there and it was no easy task to extract him.

At this stage, I'm going to add additional poly (a winter issue) and will hang black bird netting from the eave. That will detract from one viewing pleasure.

I would prefer the 'ultimate' solution however I was wondering whether anyone has any better suggestions on how to solve this problem.

Regards

Clawd
Diane

Thats a shame they found it so quickly.
There have been a few different ideas mentioned on the forum, the ones I can remember are a large bird of prey or snake image, statue on the top of the aviary, wont be any good if you have wire roof of course!
Someone else fastened netting the the top of the aviary and draped it out at an angle, as you have said you will do, Im sure there will be others who remember a few more.
At least with the clear sheeting the birds have somewhere to retreat to.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

West Pymble ...so a gun is out of the question ..joking.

Bird netting and lots of it , sadly once the rotten things know the birds are there they will keep coming back and in greater numbers .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
djb78

Will bird netting work against those flying rodents that everyone calls sparrows?
Danny
Clawd

West Pymble is a dangerous place methinks - and getting more so.

All sorts of dangers exist for for the unwary and unpleasant.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep my vegie garden has been Sparrow free since I covered it with netting . Before that every punnet I put in was eaten by the next day :thumbdown:

The only birds that can squeeze through are little Wrens after the insects ..totally harmless and a joy to watch before I let them out .

Oh well Clawd maybe a gun would be the answer :angel:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

what type of Mynah?
indian mynahs you can easily trap and you SHOULD euthanise them, noisy or other native mynahs best to find away of harmlessly driving them off.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
shox

Clawd,
I live in sydney unfortunately you will get the minors constantly, mainly morning and evening. I suggested as blue butterfly has mentioned draping bird netting from the top of the avairy an prg to the ground (about 30 degree angle. It doesnot stop the minor birds from coming ont the aviary but it reduces the numbers, the time they stay on the aviary. I found they fly spend a short time (seconds ) and then leave, My birds are used to them know. I have not lost a bird but I have heard others that have. To help with visually seeing your birds within the aviary, paint the wire black and purchase black bird mesh. The mother thing i so on sunday afternoon whilst having a beer set up a rat trap with bread on top of the aviary. Watch the mynah come and try the bread and get his neck massaged. Only do this while i am watching to ensure no other bird is harmed. Amazing how many meet there match. Best of luck.
Clawd

Since I have a chair and quite a few Sunday’s, I think your idea has merit. I wonder whether hanging some rat traps on the bird netting may be worth watching as well. I’m off to Bunnings shortly for some netting so will add some rat traps.

There are plenty of lorrikets here (they’ll come and sit on me at times when I’m in the back yard) so I’ll need to be careful.

Thanks,

Clawd
shox

i have plenty of lorrikeets as well never been interested in the bread, need to watch the doves.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”