general questions

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
grant

hi people hope use can help me i have a pair of orange breast waxbills i went in the avairy today and the hen was sitting on the avairy floor not moving much so i picked her up and had a look and her ass semed dirty or so does any one know what the problem could be thanks grant
Steven

Hey Grant and welcome to the forum,

When you found her on the floor was she puff up a bit with her eyes close it could be egg bound.
grant

i found her dead a couple hours ago, that happend pretty fast i think she was a bit puffed up but she had a wet ass. i thought it might have been worms or something but i have no idea. she is mixed in with some corden blue waxbills and double bars and they seem fine
ballnuts

Hi Mate

If that happens again get the bird into a hospital cage asap. I have one thats just a normal small cage with a light bulb fitted to provide the bird warmth. This will allow the bird to regulate its temperature and buy you some time to treat the bird for what may be causing the problem. Also make the bottom of the cage have a wire floor so any droppings fall through to avoid re contamination. If the bird was egg bound then there wouldn't have been much you could do but if it was a virus then this can save the bird.

Hope this helps mate

Cheers
Bill
Steven

Sorry for you lost Grant. Next time do what bill said that does help the bird a lot.
Page0044

Hey Grant sorry to hear you lost the finch
Cheers
Greg
grant

thanks bill i have a spare wire cage i can use ill go get a portable lamp. is the 40 watt bulbs ok to use or should i use a red bulb or just a normal one ?
ballnuts

Yeah mate I just used a standard light globe any normal watt will produce enough heat. Just makesure there is enough room in the cage for the bird to get away from the light to adjust its body temperature if its gets too hot near the bulb especially as the bird starts to feel better and start to regulate its own body temperature it will move away from the light.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”